Yamaha 01 150 HPDI Mystery Impeller Issue

Louie1956

Cadet
I hope someone can clear this up for me. After winter storage, today I fired up my engine- runs fine- was peeing fine. Then I dropped it into gear both forward and reverse, then back to neutral. Then I noticed water leaking from my cowling into the boat well. I shut is down, pulled the cowling searched for the source of water and was unable to find it. Then when I started the engine again there was no pee trail. I can understand my impeller likely went bad especially since it has never been changed (my bad- I know). The mystery is why would water come from inside the cowling as a result of a bad impeller? I would love to hear from anyone with ideas about this, as I am clueless.
Thank you
Louie...

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 01 150 HPDI Mystery Impeller Issue

change the water pump, check the tell tail for blockage, and run the motor with cowling off to see where water is coming from because there should not be any water running out of cowling unless there is a leak.

Louie1956

Cadet

What could possibly be leaking under the cowling? Could there be a cracked block or?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

My first thought would be a cracked or dislodged hose.

Louie1956

Cadet

is there anyplace for water to get trapped resulting in a freeze break? This boat has seen several very cold winters with no problem. I did see a hose going to a block under a cover with a bunch or wires etc. Any idea what that box might be? Any idea where I could see an exploded view of that cooling system?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sorry, not familiar enough with your motor to answer.
Did you try running motor with cowling off to locate the leak?
Did you look at your motors parts breakdown on the different web parts places to see if that helps

Louie1956

Cadet

Yea I tried to find it but couldnt. Shut it down and the next time it was not peeing. Didnt want to run it anymore.
I dont know where to look for web parts places- that is the problem.

Louie1956

Cadet

The problem was a cracked regulator/rectifier jacket housing. Whood a thunk?
Now the question is- how does one get assurance all water is out of this thing when storing. Blow compressed air in the pee hole?? Didn?t happen 9 out of 10 years!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Maybe raise and lower motor several times to help work all the water out after pulling from water.

Best way is to move to a place it does not freeze.