2000 60-Hp yamaha outboard shifting problems

relicownz

Recruit
This has been a great motor with not a problem till now. The problem im running into is that while the shifter is in natural it stays in forward while in reverse it seems to be stuck half way between forward and reverse. nutural is in there somewhere and can only find it coming up from reverse, not while forward. it just started this after being stored and changing the lower unit oil. there was very little metal on the oil plug. i bought the boat about 2 years ago and the throttle and shift cable was just replaced along with the stearing cable and water pump. Oh by the way being that i live a stone throw from the boat ramp i tested in the water same problem. Any help would be appreciated before i drag it down to the repair shop.

Jethros

Seaman
Re: 2000 60-Hp yamaha outboard shifting problems

looks like nobodt has an answer for ya.and me too. For some reason I have this same problem and mine is that the cables slide in and out of the rubber grommet and not sure how or why this happened. I would like a fix for this too. My repair manual has nothing on this, grr

Last edited:

ianyoung77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 60-Hp yamaha outboard shifting problems

Are you saying the problem is still there after adjustment?