Steering arm replacement - V6 Mid 80's Yamaha..

javiert99

Cadet
While working on the lower unit I would like to clean up / fix up a few things that are concerning me.

Primary on the list of concerns is the steering arm.

I know the powerhead must be removed, and I know the 6 midsection to powerhead bolts are the worst. I have managed to remove 5 out of 6, broke one, but will use the "drill through" trick documented on the forums here to get that last one out. So removal of the powerhead seems like it will not be a problem.

What are the next steps involved in swapping the steering arm? And what years are comparable? I have found a mid 90's complete transom mount for a 25" shaft (mine is a 20" shaft), and was thinking of just using the steering arm off of it. If this feasible? I just want to know compatability between 80's and 90's stuff for that one part :)

Does anything need to be pressed on or off?

javiert99

Cadet
Re: Steering arm replacement - V6 Mid 80's Yamaha..

Okay, I have found that the steering arm also includes the splined shaft, so I now know that a 25" steering arm will not work.

My engine is a 1984, and the only compatable units via part # seem to be 1984-1987. Does anyone know if later 20" shaft steering arms will work? Part #'s are not the same but I just can't see them being very different?

javiert99

Cadet

Received word on another site that V6 steering arms from the 84 models up to mid 90's or so are all the same. Can anyone confirm? (assuming shaft length is the same of course)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Just my opinion ,but if the #s are different there is something different about the part.

Also I was wondering why the drive shaft length would have a say in the steering arm length?

javiert99

Cadet

Just my opinion ,but if the #s are different there is something different about the part.

Also I was wondering why the drive shaft length would have a say in the steering arm length?

The steering arm has a splined shaft.. the spline is towards the bottom, and depending on the length of the midsection depends on where the spline is located. The part #'s definitenly vary b/w shaft length motors...

As far as the part # goes.. I'm sure there is something different about them, but if it works it works... y'know? Maybe it's just some subtle difference that just doesn't matter. The part is over $300 new from Yamaha, far beyond what is worth putting into a motor that needs a lower. If it can be found "on the cheap" it is worth me putting money into the lower as the motor runs strong/well.

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have an '89 115hp with a 25" leg so I am familiar with the part. Not knowing the situation you have it may be worth a trip to a machine shop or a welding shop with the old and new parts to get their opinion. If I was to ever work on mine a wire cup wheel on a 4" grinder will take it to brite metal and then I would paint it with a 2 part epoxy. Good luck.