2003 F115 trim tilt and volt meter wiring

Streamfixer

Cadet
Just repowered from Evinrude 88 to 2003 yamaha 115 4s and Yamaha 703 remote control. I have been told need new Tach. as the 2s tach apparently will not work with a 4s. I have figured out which wire to connect to the new tach and it is awaiting the guage.

The only guages I am needing help with are the trim/tilt guage and the voltage meter. Where do I run a wire from to connect the guage to the tilt sender? Will the tilt guage from my old evinrude 2s work or do I need to get a new one?

Where do I run the wire to connect to the voltage sender?

All the guages are connected to 12v and ground.

Thank you

StreamFixer

Last edited:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 F115 trim tilt and volt meter wiring

why not simply buy the yamaha digital tach and the correct wiring harness and simply plug and play.
the yamaha digital will give trim indicate,low oil pressure indicate and overheat indicate.
even the yamaha analog will give oil and overheat indicates and its all plug and play.
for a voltmeter the yellow wire from the 703 box is key on 12v,red is constant 12v,dark green is tach send and black is ground.

Streamfixer

Cadet

Good morning Rodbolt

There are a lot of reasons I have not chosen to go digital with new harness, most of them are $$$$$$$

The second is this is on a '94 boat with gauge holes all ready in place that would be tough to fill. The analogues will fit and look good.

I realize not pursuing your suggestion will require more work.

I have found the gauges (tilt and tach) for around $100. When I went to the Yamaha site and found the harness at around $150 I had a bit of shock.

I have found a two pin connection on the motor, right side, below steering tube. 1 has a wire (closest to transom), the other corroded, no wire. I have read on this forum there is a two wire sensor on the tilt. Is this the connection point? Do I need to run two wires? Both pins?

Any suggestions you might have on finding the harness for less, even a used one, would be appreciated.

Thank you

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes the trim send is a two wire potentiometer, wires are pink and black.
dunno if any other meter will work correctly but I do know some will work backwards.
your tach must be co?mpatible with the yamaha 4 stroke ECU as the F115 uses the ECU to generate the tach send signal and not the altenator.
its a waste spark system,that means 1 and 4 fire simultaneously as do 2 and 3.
means some inductive tachs will read double the actual RPM.
the tach pole setting should be 12 pole.