Suzuki DF115 prop 2004/Water in oil

AlwaysFishn'

Seaman Apprentice
I took the boat out fishing last week buzzed around going from one spot to another whiling doing so the motor just died as if it ran out of gas i pumped the ball and off we went scratched my head as to why of course but ran fine for the rest of day. I got home to wash her up seen oil on off shore bracket realizing it was white took the hood off and checked dipstick "Oh yeah" all white goop. I called my dealership thinking it was a warranty missed the period by 12 hrs long story short I'm going to attempt doing the work myself I'm pretty mechanically incline got the service repair manual. Paying dealership repair prices are not an option right now.

Alright I've drained the casing it's full blown white all the way through. Is there a place on this thing I should check first before I start tearing into the motor head or what are my options to look at first here?
I should rephrase this is there some on the outside to indicate as to where to start or should I just assume it's internal?:eek:

Last edited:

AlwaysFishn'

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Suzuki DF115 prop 2004/Water in oil

I was hoping to figure out of visually looking to which way to go about this well I just began breaking down each component and follow each procedure of the manual I hope it's just a blown gasket

fish4me2

Cadet

I have the same engine and found water in in the oil,turns out it was the engine holder.I have talked to two other people personlly and have seen a couple of posts on iboats that have had bad engine holders also.I am going to try to get suzuki replace the part,Iwould like to hear from anyone else that has had the same problem. apparently the holders develop holes in them.

JRJ

Commander

Missing a warranty by 12 hours? Wow!! I didn't know they were cut that close. I would have called Suzuki. Sorry I can't help you, good luck.

garylee

Recruit

yes, the engine holder has a carbon steel plug in the exhaust port in the engine holder this plug is corroding from the in side out. I have two df140's I saw this plug when doing normal maintenance it was rusty on the outside with concern I spoke to a Suzuki mechanic he said the rel problem was taking place on the inside. He said that in due time the engine holder would get holes around this plug and the exhaust would burn threw the engine holder. This is a 2000.00 dollar repair that is not covered under warranty. this is a factory defective but they call it a corrosion problem there for they are not reliable.I have two engines that are ticking time bombs the same thing is going to happen to me. This needs to be a Suzuki re-call but that's not going to happen I'm a very upset Suzuki customer. The replacement engine holder does not have the plug in it. There also seems to be a corrosion problem with the oil pan in thees engines.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I kind of doubt the engine would be not covered if 12 hours out of warranty, but anyway, please explain what an "engine holder" is!

AlwaysFishn'

Seaman Apprentice

Well sir you can doubt all you want I've been round and round with the extended warranty people (I got 6 yr warranty when I bought boat and motor) the outfit that carried the extended part was of GE anyways, I took boat out on a Friday morning returned that evening took the boat out of barn to wash Saturday afternoon realized I had white goop on Offshore bracket called dealer explained situation he had closed for the day he said we well make phone call to Suzuki Monday morning which had happened they had transferred the ordeal to extended warranty place they pretty much said to kiss their $%^ called Suzuki explained the situation to them and the told me "There is no LOVE loss between them(extended warranty place) and that company anymore" they use someone else now they said. Suzuki won't cover the ordeal the dealer said 3k to fix.My warranty ran out February the 26th at Midnight!! Apparently if I had called on Friday when the incident happened and a phone call was made to the warranty place before Friday midnight we could have saved some time according to the warranty place but because I had called it in on a Saturday afternoon (which in case is around noon) That's where I say missed it by 12 hrs... but now if you think I can go about this another way I'm all ears............

I've got the motor torn apart now thought for sure it was a blown head gasket but that's not the case far as I can see, however trying to get all the white duck grease out still trying to find what the culprit is. I will look at that bolt and around the housing if it is I will ***** to Suzuki again. I really like the motor but if they can't stand behind the customers I won't do it again especially in these times.

Parrotthead

Recruit

I was just reading your old post about water in the oil in your 2004 DF115. I have the same problem and am wondering how your situation turned out?

Last fall I thought I blew a head gasket while fishing salmon off the mouth of the Columbia river. I have owned this motor since new and it had always been bullet proof. Well, long story short, I didn't realize there was salt water in the oil for a couple fishing trips, until the motor started running bad. While trouble shooting, I pulled the dipstick and found the engine full of the white crap. I took it to 2 shops here in Portland and found one that agreed to pull the engine apart. I had them rebuild the motor, and valvetrain, complete with new cams. It cost me 3800 bucks. I got the motor back in November and moth balled it till May. I took it out a few times, did the break-in proceedures and after about 12 hours run time, found water in the oil again.

Back to the shop to tighten everything and recheck all gaskets. The motor worked fine for 2 short trips. Took the family out over the fourth for about 8 hours. Motor worked fine but I had a hard time keeping it running at initial start up. I checked the oil at the end of the trip and guess what??? Water in the oil. About a quart.

I took it back to the shop and they are telling me that their tech has no idea whats going on and Suzuki has no answers either. The owner of the shop doesnt want to put more labor into this and basicly. I'm screwed out of 3800 bucks. They want to sell me a new motor.. (of Course). It seems to me that there is a fine crack somewhere that is misting water into my lube system. The problem is, Where in the world is it coming from??? Could the engine holder be the culprit? The mid and upper engine have been pressure tested and hold at 70 and 30 pounds respectively. It seems that it doesnt leak until the motor is really warmed up.

Any ideas will be helpful. HELP??????

AlwaysFishn'

Seaman Apprentice

Your problem is identical to mine unfortunately/fortunately I have done my search on my own with the help from a guy at the dealership and as well has the knowledgeable from folks here. I sent you a PM hopefully we can both figure this out as we are both local. I'm in the process of replacing the cylinder head I'm thinking after replacing pistons and new rings and re-bored the cylinders already the only thing it has to be is the head reason is it only gets water in the oil after the engine has warmed up there has got to be a slight crack in the head and when the darn thing warms up so does the crack it opens and allows water in. So so far I've replaced the all gaskets at least 3 times had all the work done that I said previously and according to the machine shop the cylinder block and head has no warp-age to speak of. When I try to call Suzuki Tech's they don't want to acknowledge of a problem I always get "I'm sorry sir we don't have someone available to speak to you". I do have a burnt spot on my engine holder but I really don't think that is the problem after that gasket was fixed and sealed up with the Right Stuff Sealant. Keep in touch