2004 yamaha 60 hp trim solenoid

Tackman331

Cadet
I have a 2004 yamaha 4 stroke 60 hp. when you hit the trim button up or down it just clicks, the solenoid that is. i just bought this unit so i know nothing about it. could the solenoid be bad? is there a way to check test it to see if it is working? or is there something else going on?

Tackman331

Cadet
Re: 2004 yamaha 60 hp trim solenoid

after further research i think it might be a relay not a solenoid.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you have a DC clamp-on ammeter check the amps to the trim motor when the relay is just clicking to see if the motor is drawing amps. If it is drawing amps them the motor is bound up and needs replacing. If no amps then check for bad ground, loose connections, or low battery voltage

Tackman331

Cadet

Thank you very much for the info......If that relay is clicking does that mean it is working? I don't a meter with the clamp on it,mine is just a little 2 prong meter.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

It means that it is being energized but does not mean it is sending power to the motor. you will have to check it with a meter to see if the connections are made good enough to allow current flow for the motor to run.The relay makes and breaks both +&- and switches them to change rotation, so you have to make sure both are being made not just one side.

Take the motor leads loose and touch them to a battery , either lead does not matter, just reverses rotation. that will tell you if the motor will run

Tackman331

Cadet

I took the two leads blue and green loose. I made a jumper wire and went from the positive on the battery to the blue lead no spark or nothing same thing on the green lead and nothing?

Tackman331

Cadet

I unhooked the blue and green wires from the relay. I took my multi meter and went black to ground and red to blue post hit the button and it read 12+ volts same thing on the green post so I take it the relay is working correctly. What would be my next step?

Tackman331

Cadet

I am assuming the trim motor is bad.....I hooked it straight to my battery charger and nothing. There is a local guy here that rebuilds starters and alternator that will test it to make sure. If it is indeed bad he can also rebuild them.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

your relay test procedure is incorrect and is leading you wrong.
to correctly test place red meter lead on the blue post and black on the green post hit trim up and you should see 12v,hit trim down and you will see -12v.
when testing the motor attach the blue wire to a 12v positive and the green to negative motor will run up,reverse and it runs down.
but at rest BOTH blue and green posts are at ground potential and if you test red to blue or green you will get 12v.not what we are tryng to test.

Tackman331

Cadet

Thanks RB I will try that out in the morning.

Tackman331

Cadet

The relay is working right. On to the motor itself. Started a new thread on the motor. Thanks for all the info 99yam and RB.