Replacing clutch and reverse gear in Yamaha V6 lower unit..

javiert99

Cadet
Mid 80's Yamaha v6, 20" shaft

Trying to get some more life out of my old girl, and reverse has started acting up. It's kicking out of gear when set into reverse, from everything I've read it indicates the clutch teeth and the reverse dogs are probably worn.

I have a Clymers and read through it a bit.. with the required tools, how manageable is this to do with someone who has decent mechanical experience?

I'm basically assuming it will be just those two parts to replace, I'd take it apart and inspect it all before ordering anything of course.

Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing clutch and reverse gear in Yamaha V6 lower unit..

after removing the bearing carrier you will need a bearing seperator to seperate the rev gear from the bearing.
measure and record the rev gear back lash BEFORE dissasembling the unit and reshim it to the same back lash on reassembly.
you will need the flag device for shimming but its the same one mercury uses and they are cheap.
and you will need a dial indicator and mag base.
easy job and can be accomplished,barring corrosion, in about 4 hours.

javiert99

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt, I can probably rent the bearing separator from my local auto parts store. Fortunately I have a mag base and dial indicator from other past projects already.

I recall in another post you made mention of using an OMC V4 or V6 tool to pull the bearing carrier out? Or just use the Yamaha tool? Any reference on where best to get either tool?

Also, where should I typically look for water intrusion leaks into the casing? Is the shift shaft seal a typical spot? Does replacing all the seals require intensive dissassembly beyond what I should be getting myself into? :D

Thanks! :cool:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

barring the corrosion factor if its a salt pond motor,its simple.
to remove the prop shaft your going to have to remove the shift shaft anyway.

javiert99

Cadet

Fair enough, what other seals should I be looking at? I was thinking of just replacing everything to do it once. Where else can it leak from aside from the shift shaft seal, drain bolt and upper fill point bolt, and water pump area (the pump will be getting a rebuild kit this season as well).