'03 Yamaha 150 Starter will not turn flywheel

bamareed25

Recruit
When i try to crank the starter jumps up engages the flywheel but does not turn the flywheel. I tested the battery it read 12.6V with nothing on. With the Starter engaged it reads 9.6V. the power reads the same to the solenoid, however when i test at the starter terminals it measures 5.5V with starter engaged...is that a normal power loss? I checked/Cleaned all cables and conncections. I even bypassed the solenoid with jumper cables directly to the starter terminal with the same result...jumps up and does not turn the flywheel. I had it out two weeks ago and ran fine. Im at a loss for ideas. I am a novice at outboard mechanics. Also did have the batt tested at store....they said it was good. I have not tried turning the flywheel by hand, i dont know if that is ok to do and if i should remove plugs prior to doing so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: '03 Yamaha 150 Starter will not turn flywheel

hopefully your flywheel (and engine) isn't locked up, but you can try turning it by hand with the kill switch pulled, or with a starter rope. hand-startnig a 150 is a Herculean feat but you should be able to get a turn or two. Your owner's manual probably shows you how if you don't know. If it won't turn you have big problems I'm afraid to say.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

post the full model number, several versions of the 150 were avalible in 03.

bamareed25

Recruit

here are all the numbers on the motor.

V150TLRB
6JR L 1001528.

I do not have the owners manual, bought it used and still have 7 days on the warranty from the dealer. Which is good but I but i am trying to educate myself. It even still has the complimentary tank of gas from the dealer.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

try turning the flywheel by hand with the plugs out, should turn very easy.
if it does either you lost a cable,a connection or a starter motor brush.
if its still warrenteed take it back tomorrow and tell them to call you when its fixed.

bamareed25

Recruit

Thanks i have called and scheduled to drop it off in the morning. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the info.

bamareed25

Recruit

Well, the shop called yesterday. It turns out the batt and starter was good. Its a siezed up gear case. Luckily its being fixed under warranty. I had six days left on my warranty....unbelievable. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. atleast i will know how to trouble shoot the starter if i have problems with it in the future. I asked what happend and he said it looks like a bearing came loose which doesnt make sense how that could happen and that it ran like a champ the weekend before.