Yamaha 8hp - starter cord sticking

hairyfitz

Recruit
Hi.

My girlfriend has a 14ft aluminum fishing boat with a 8hp Yamaha outboard, and it's startin to P me off!
I dont know how many times its happened now (too many) but the pull-cord keeps getting stuck all the way out.
The engine is kinda hard starting when its been sitting for a few days. Never fails I'm out in the lake after pushing off from shore, and I start pulling on it to get it running, and it wont start. Then sure enough at the end of a pull - No Re-coil!!!! I yank on it, tug it, take the engine cover off and beat it with my shoe..... nothing. Fully extended rope that aint budging. Then, after umpteen expletives, it suddenly lets go and winds back up again.
I actually think its just God playing headgames with me, but whatever....

Is this something I can service myself...... like just squirting WD-40 in somewhere to lube whatever it is thats getting hung up????

Any advice would be appreciated.
I'd hate to have to go find another girlfriend.

Fitz ;)

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Yamaha 8hp - starter cord sticking

Spray the cord and entire recoil mechanism with WD-40 or silicone spray, they're prone to sticking like that and lubrication usually helps a lot! Good Luck!

hairyfitz

Recruit

Spray the cord and entire recoil mechanism with WD-40 or silicone spray, they're prone to sticking like that and lubrication usually helps a lot! Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice.

"Spray the cord...." Really?
I'm thinking that would be bad for the rope..... but what do I know?!?!?!?!
That's why I'm here! ;)

WD-40 and Duct-tape..... man's best friends!

Fitz

robert graham

Admiral

WD-40 or silicone won't hurt the nylon cord. Spray the entire recoil mechanism, they're prone to get sticky. The best thing would be to just remove the entire recoil mechanism so you can get at all the parts and the recoil spring. Good Luck!