yamaha c115txrt steering advice

just_opinion

Recruit
I want to replace my Teleflex steering cable on my boat. It is a non feed back steering system with single stainless steel cable SSC12410. But the problem is that I cannot pull the old one off the engine pivot point. It looks like I have to slide the engine aside. But it is heavy.
I can cut the old out as other thread have advised. But How can I put the new one back in if I have no room to get the old out. Any idea is greatly appricated.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: yamaha c115txrt steering advice

Boy, a picture is worth a thousand words..I can't imagine it won't unbolt from the motor and come out the steering tube. They are known for freezing up. after unbolting and using a big hammer and a block of wood try to get it to move..if not some heat may be needed. Once free, it should come thru the tube and apart...

just_opinion

Recruit

I'll post some picture tomorrow. It 's dark outside.
But nothing is rusted or seiged up. I can easily slide the stainless steel end through the engine pivot bar. But I have no room to pull it out.

I'll post pics

Thanks for reply

danmak

Recruit

You may need to unbolt the motor to get it out. I had to do that when I took my old Merc off. It would slide most of the way out, but just did not have enough room. Luckily I had a chain fall so it was easy for me. There are other ways such as using a stout tree limb, a good rope and a vehicle to pull it with, but it depends on the tools you have available. You could try to beat the last bit out. It should come out but it will be really tight.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

quite a few hulls require engine removal for cable replacement.
its a hull design.
usually you can unbolt the motor and swing it sideways,no derigging of the engine required. you can rent a cherry picker and the engine has a lifting strap already on it.
or or it did when it left the factory.