suzuki df140 overheating at idle

transcat18

Recruit
need help! i have a suzuki df140 i have change the the thermostat, the impeller, and checked the pressure relief valve. it overheats at idle. at idle it pees weak, but at full throttle it has hight water pressure. I'm not getting any water out of the exhaust so I guess the the head gasket is fine also there is no water in the oil. can anybody guide me to the right place

it had started before i made all the changes. and i did not change the water pump housing. the housing is stainless steal and i had inspected the part look good but i did change the gasket.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: suzuki df140 overheating at idle

Did it start before or after making all the changes?

When looking at the motor from the rear ... top left, round cover with two flanges and two bolts with wire to it. That's the water flow gizmo. Disconnect the wire and see if it still 'overheats' ... ;)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Did you change the water pump housing also or just the impeller?
That would be my next thing to look at, along with anywhere it could be sucking air into the pump.
Do a forum search for dt 140 overheating and see what all you find. Seems like I have read about some problems from under the pump area.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

when it overheats did you verify the temperature of the engine?

sometimes the exhaust temp sensor is the culprit.

check the temp with a temp gun when you get an overheat alarm.

other than that bring it to a dealer who can hook it up to SDS and can tell you how many times and at what temp and where the engine was overheating.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

you mean with there is no water comming out of the exhaust that there is no water comming out of the propellor when you run it on a hose?
or are you talking about the relieve port?

transcat18

Recruit

Did it start before or after making all the changes?

When looking at the motor from the rear ... top left, round cover with two flanges and two bolts with wire to it. That's the water flow gizmo. Disconnect the wire and see if it still 'overheats' ... ;)

no it had started before i made all the changes. i know for sure the thermo was bad

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The water pump is turning or you wouldn't get the tell-tale, the thermostat is new so not the likely problem. Many outboards inject water into the exhaust stream for manifold cooling purposes (don't remember is my DF did, but I think so). If your water passages were very corroded I'd look for a plugged water jacket somewhere. You might also try replacing the overheat sensor before launching into big buck searches ... :eek:

Dejavu48

Recruit
Re: suzuki df140 overheating

2002 Suzuki 140 hp overheating, NEED HELP PLEASE!

Hello Folks, please I really need further assistance. I have a 2002 Suzuki DF140 that is overheating. I?ve replaced the impeller pump and all grommets, pressure relief valve, thermostat, flushed engine with salt away. I can put the lower end in a barrel of water and attach a hose to the flush port and the pump will prime and hold even when I turn off the water at the flush port. As soon as I turn the engine off and restart with the lower unit in the barrel without the water being applied to the flush port it will not prime and pump water. I have no idea where to go from here, please help. Thanks

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you know how to replace water impeller correct? Are all gaskets in right order

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

2002 Suzuki 140 hp overheating, NEED HELP PLEASE!

Hello Folks, please I really need further assistance. I have a 2002 Suzuki DF140 that is overheating. I?ve replaced the impeller pump and all grommets, pressure relief valve, thermostat, flushed engine with salt away. I can put the lower end in a barrel of water and attach a hose to the flush port and the pump will prime and hold even when I turn off the water at the flush port. As soon as I turn the engine off and restart with the lower unit in the barrel without the water being applied to the flush port it will not prime and pump water. I have no idea where to go from here, please help. Thanks

It would be best if you would start a new thread with all your info and questions, instead of adding on to an old thread