1992 yamaha 150 zerk fittings

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i have recently aquired this motor and am trying to find the zerk fitting that will grease the upper swivel mount? There is the bracket that attaches to the transom and then a bearing? at the top and one at the bottom that allows the engine to rotate left and right ( have no clue on the terminolgy) I have found a zerk fitting 1/2 way between these 2 points on the right side of the leg and when i pump it i only get grease out the bottom bearing...i have searched for one for the top bearing but..... does any of that make sense? help! thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 1992 yamaha 150 zerk fittings

That zerk about in the middle of pivot shaft gets both top and bottom bearings. You may have some old hardened grease up around that upper bearing so you can't see the new grease. You should be in good shape.
Good Luck!

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, thanks! is there an issue with not forcing that old grease out of the top bearing? should i try to "seal" the bottom bearing to 'force" the grease out the top bearing? path of least resistance, right? thanks was pulling my hair out trying to find that other zerk....

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe you could take a rag and a sharpened wooden ice cream stick and try to remove some of that 18 year old grease from around that upper bearing. Could be the folks who owned the motor before you didn't grease that zerk often, if at all, and the grease just got hard. When I grease mine the excess always comes out the top and there's always a blob of grease up there, figured it keeps out the water! I doubt you've got much of a problem anyway, because if the grease can't ooz out, then the water sure can't leak in!...least that's my take on it. Good Luck!