1986,200 hp suzuki no fire at all

turn2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have unhooked harness from engine and tried a remote starter button on engine . no fire. I replaced stator, coils,powerpack, no fire, . I put a complete harness and all parts from another engine. Still no fire. Any help is greatly appriciated.

brents

Seaman
Re: 1986,200 hp suzuki no fire at all

Turn2, I am not that familiar your motor, but your request needs a little help.

It sounds like you have replaced nearly every electrical component that you could get your hands on. Sorry to hear you did all that...:redface:

What was happening before you lost fire? Or is this a motor you are trying to revive? How do you know it has no spark, did you use a spark tester, or other method to verify no fire?

BIG QUESTION, is the kill switch plugged in? If you replaced everything electrical under the cowling with good parts, and no success, then I would find a wiring diagram for your motor, and dive in. Additionally, I would check any other safety features that would cut off the ignition.

turn2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is a friends boat. I am told it was running fine (well it had some issues dropping 10 miles an hour after getting on plane,WOT or half throttle. They continued to use the boat telling me about the problem and going to bring it....then it quit completely .He tells me they were changing skiers and it never started back. I disconnected all wiring to the controls and kill switch. and tried the engine with a starter button across the solenoid. I am a johnson man and that will eliminate the controls and let the motor fire on johnson. So with no test equipment I figure no fire at all would have to be a stator. thought maybe Jeff lied and boosted the boat and blew something. So I bought one from a man that chunked a rod .He said his motor was fine other than the rod. Same deal no fire ,so I figure both stators are good now. The owner tried this first and cobbled all the wires ,removed the oiler and had fraid wires everywhere. so I called the man with the bad engine and he sold me the whole harness,rectifier,coil packs,oiler tank ...... so now I have all of this other mans wiring and changed nothing. I have not looked really close at the fly wheel. My test light shows voltage through the system on the ignition wire.
Will the suzuki fire with the controls unhooked from the engine?
Thanks for your time and effort.

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class

A couple of things to check...make certain your flywheels have the same ID. You should be able to get spark regardless, but it'll be at the wrong time. Make sure you have the same color plug boots from the donor engine. Make sure you haven't missed a ground wire behind the electronics plate--that's the most frequent error.

turn2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you talking about wiring boots or spark plug boots? The spark plug boots are different colored and some of the wires were different colored. The plugs all worked and the wires ran to the same component. I did not get the other fly wheel, but I will call and check. What is confusing is both wiring harnesses have same problem. I will pull the coil packs today and look for grounds to be off or no ground. I am going to inspect the flywheel. I dont no if this makes a difference, but the harness I got to replace the original was from a 150 not a 200 both engines had the 12 spark plugs . I can reinstall old harness, it doesn't seem bad with the new one doing the same thing. Thanks for the leads to try.

Just so I know Will the suzuki fire with no controls hooked at all?

turn2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Manual says 150,175 ,200 are the same wiring harness in 86,87,88,
I took the control box apart and the switch and kill switch are working proper. White wire is bringing the fire in and the gray is ign brown is the solenoid wire orange is choke green wire kills the circut black is grounded. The green wire looses groung when I turn on the key. All is working thru the harness plug . I checked all black wires for ground , checked timing base plate ,block ,anything black or aluminum all grounded. The green wires from the pulse coils are grounded . The air gap is very wide , like 12 to 18 thousanths manual says 3 . I dont see how to adjust mine , they have an aluminum clamp holding them down and doesnt leave any room to slide. Ran out of day . I will check more tomorrow. I have another manual coming that has some out put test.

I cant figure how two different wiring harness have the same problem. only thing left is the flywheel. I cleaned,sanded and inspected the flywheel.

I also by passed the neutral switch. :eek::confused:

turn2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rodbolt Help Help Help. What would kill all fire on a suzuki?

john dezman

Cadet

Can't answer your question about running disconnected from boat. however

In the suzuki shop manual (mine's 100 miles away right now) there is a troubleshooting sequence.

there is a 'low oil warning' that interferes with the ignition if it senses low oil. there is a rubber covered push button on the starboard side electrical box this needs to be pressed to override. if memory serves me, if this is tripped it will kill the ignition to one bank of cylinders.

there is a oil flow switch in the line between the tank and the oil pump, its sensative to volume of oil flow and if there's been old oil that could gel, then this needs to be taken out and flushed with a solvent (that won't eat the plastic) until its free flowing. this will prevent a start if clogged.

beyond that have to look in the factory manual. hope it helps

turn2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for your input, I recieved my service manual last night in the mail. So I will pull my hair most of the day probably. I will post my results.
Thanks again