• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

9.9 Elth-1987 4 Stroke Yamaha-leaks Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.9 Elth-1987 4 Stroke Yamaha-leaks Oil

I have a 1987 4 stroke Yamaha, 9.9 hp. I bought it as a winter project as it is pretty beat up. I put oil in the oil pan and it just flows right out of the bottom of the lower unit. Is there anyone that can confirm that I feel the oil pan is cracked or is there something I am overlooking--thanks

Re: 9.9 Elth-1987 4 Stroke Yamaha-leaks Oil

Did you buy it without running the motor?
    Is the drain plug in?
    Is the oil filter on and tight?
    Have some fun and enjoy the Great Outdoors.
    Love to fish out of Bodega Bay, California.

Comment

Hi Robin,

I just got a 1987 9.9 4 Stroke that does a similar thing. It leaks like crazy when I lean it on its side. If you find anything out, be sure to post a follow up. I'll do the same.

Grant

Comment

Parts diagrams here: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Brown View Post
          I took the powerhead off and I am going to replace the seals and gasket. I should have the parts in a couple of days. If that works I will let you know. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by robin3547 View Post
            I took the powerhead off and I am going to replace the seals and gasket. I should have the parts in a couple of days. If that works I will let you know. Bob
            Did you also pull out the oil tank that is underneath the powerhead?

...Speaking from experience, I'm thinking that the oil leaking problem may lie around the oil tank (possibly from corrosion if used in saltwater)
            "Somebody put salt in the ocean to punish us boaters"
            1989 22' Bayrunner Cuddy (Aluminum)
            2002 Merc. 115 Saltwater Series Fourstroke
            1988 Yam. 9.9 High Thrust Fourstroke
            1998 Dodge 2500/ 24V. Cummins diesel

Comment

Well I fired mine up on the weekend and holy s**t did it start puking oil!

I already bought an older Honda 4 stroke that has no issues so I put the Yam on craigslist and sold it as a parts motor to the first guy who looked at it.
              Problem solved...

Comment

Originally posted by sdsaw View Post

...Speaking from experience, I'm thinking that the oil leaking problem may lie around the oil tank (possibly from corrosion if used in saltwater)
                I am going to give that idea a test . I will pour some oil into the pan up to just below the powerhead mount, if it leaks, then thats the problem . If it does not then it was the power head gacket. thanks and I will let you know-Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Brown View Post
                  Well I fired mine up on the weekend and holy s**t did it start puking oil!

I already bought an older Honda 4 stroke that has no issues so I put the Yam on craigslist and sold it as a parts motor to the first guy who looked at it.
                  Problem solved...
                  Where was the oil puking from? Mine is leaking out of the prop exhaust port-thanks Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sdsaw View Post

You hit the nail on the head, I poured a cup of oil into the pan and out it comes.

Comment

You were right--Does the lower cowl have to come off to get the pan out?-thanks

Comment

Originally posted by robin3547 View Post
                        You were right--Does the lower cowl have to come off to get the pan out?-thanks
                        No, the pan lifts out the cowl which is one piece.
                        In fact, you have to remove the oil tank to remove the cowl!
                        If that makes any sense

Here are some pictures of the old parts that got replaced on mine.
                        Be prepared to spend some $$ on new parts, seals and gaskets.
                        I spent $700+ back in 2001
                        The factory repair manual is a must (#LIT-18616-FT-99) which is for my 1988 FT 9.9ELG

Top view of the mid-section

Upright view of the oil tank assembly
                        When viewing from the top, you will have to remove the bolts around the perimeter (maybe 6?)
                        The bolts that are towards the middle, hold the oil tank to the powerhead base plate

Upside down view of oil tank assem.
                        The left threaded hole is the oil drain
                        The large right hole is for the stainless exhaust tube which runs up the middle of the tank
                        The rubber grommet in the lower right is for the cooling water tube
                        Since your oil leaks out so quickly, I suspect the problem to lie in this area.

I attempted to repair my old oil tank by welding and JB Weld (to fill where it couldn't be welded) but decided to buy new replacement parts instead

Here's a parts breakdown of the parts
                        Look at the "upper casing"
                        http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx

Good luck,
                        Scott
                        "Somebody put salt in the ocean to punish us boaters"
                        1989 22' Bayrunner Cuddy (Aluminum)
                        2002 Merc. 115 Saltwater Series Fourstroke
                        1988 Yam. 9.9 High Thrust Fourstroke
                        1998 Dodge 2500/ 24V. Cummins diesel

Comment

Working...