Yamaha 2005 OIL Leak

polar05

Seaman
:confused::confused::(:confused::confused:My lower unit has leaked out oil. Maybe due to the freeze this pass weekend. 3 months ago lower unit oil unit was changed. Don't see any external cracks. What you see so far is how much it has leaked. Have not ran motor since finding this leak. Any ideas on this new problem? Wanted to go fishing this Friday but surely don't water to go into lower unit. :(

Attachments

• Picture 068.jpg
    Picture 068.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 0

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha 2005 OIL Leak

This does not look like lower unit oil.
Did you fog the engine? Excess fogging oil will drain out the exhaust and take the black sooty exhaust residue with it. Normal.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Fogged oil thru the exhaust may be smelly, but lower unit gear oil stinks of sulfer. Take a good whiff..you may find it's not gear oil...

polar05

Seaman

All that was done was boat taken in to have carbs cleaned. Have taken boat out several times since then and ran fine. Smokes as if carbs are getting to much oil mixture. After freeze notice oil drip.

As far as fogging I don't know anything about that.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I agree,doesnt look much like gear lube.
if it is its seriously burned.
looks like waste fuel mix coming from the exhaust.
what is the motor model number ?

polar05

Seaman
Re: Yamaha 2004 OIL Leak

Re: Yamaha 2004 OIL Leak

Doesn't smell burnt or smell like gas or gear lube. Just black can't really tell what it smell's like. Tomorrow I'll try running it again to see if any more comes out.
model #150TXRC 2004