Help me pin point this noise - YAMAHA F250

maxhp

Cadet
I have a Yamaha F250. Motor runs like a beast. Quiet as a mouse at idle, and smooth and powerful all the way up to WOT of 6000 rpms.

Wanted to get some opinions from other owners....when your engine is completely warmed up and the idle is down around 600 rpm or so, pull the cowl...put your ear next to the powerhead(either side) and you hear a noise similar to valve train clatter sort of like a quiet "grinding" noise but not coming from the valve train. You have to listen to distinguish it from the injectors tapping. It is quite quiet and not audible with the cover on. Also, if you advance the throttle even 100 or 200 rpms in neutral the sound disappears, and it doesn't appear to do it in gear under load. A guy with a boat across the dock from me with twin F250's had them running and I asked to listen to his, and low and behold both made the same noise. What could this be? I am assuming it may be the driveshaft turning and either that bushing making this quiet griding noise or maybe some slop in the gears in the gearcase while in neutral??? What do you ya think?