Trouble starting 1994 115 yamaha

fsevin

Recruit
Any help or suggestions appreciated. Motor always ran GREAT. this summer developed a "flat" spot coming out of the hole -- a short hesitation then it would go and run great like always. Since fuel pump was 15 years old I changed it, and that problem went away. But now --- starting is very hard. I've done all the obvious -- plugs are new / good, no water in fuel, cleaned jets in carb, motor runs fantastic all day once it starts, and restarts easily unless it sits. Before new fuel pump, it took several squeezes of the bulb for it to get hard and then only a few seconds on the key to start in summer, maybe 15-30 seconds in the winter. Always started cold with choke on, and idle up at least half way. NOW: 1 or 2 squeezes and the bulb is rock hard. On 1st squeeze I can hear gas "squirting" but can't tell if noise in in the line, fuel pump or at carb. But then it takes several minutes of cranking over and over to start. I try choke on / off, idle up/ down, but always takes a while, and it it sputters a little a time or two and then starts for good and all is ok after that. I don't believe I am flooding, because I never smell gas, and never seen a sheen on the water as though a flooded carb is dripping fuel. Seems like the prime really isn't happening even though bulb gets hard. If I disconnect output side of bulb, it squitrsa out gas likes it is working properly, and I extend the hose to a low point into an external can, it siphons right through the bulb so all that seems OK. I suspect something in new fuel pump wont let prime through, but that if I crank it long enough the fuel pump itself creates the prime, pumping air until a little at a time the fuel makes its way through the pump and to the carb. Does that makes sense? Its is baffling because for 15 years this engine has been near trouble free and always very easy to start. Any ideas? Help and tips appreciated.

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Trouble starting 1994 115 yamaha

you going to need a fuel pressure/vacuum gauge

sounds like old lines, bad primer, or even the carbs are gummed up again

fsevin

Recruit

Thanks, JUSTINTIME. I got it fixed, thanks to suggestion from parts counter clerk at Thomas Marine, Gonzales, LA. When I put it all back together, I lined up (or so I thought) the choke solenoid bracket with the marks made from the bolts, to get it in the same place where it was previously. I was off maybe 1/8 inch too low, and the result was that even though the solenoid worked, and the linkage moved, it wasn't closing the choke completely. This is difficult to see in this model as you can only see the flaps with the air intake cover remove, and the solenoid bolts to that, so it is disconnected when inspecting. I looked at how far the linkage traveled, loosened the bolts, slid the solenoid higher, verifying that the linkage COULD travel more. Then I retightened in this new position, allowing the linkage to travel as far as it mechanically could. I assumed that the out-of-sight flaps would then certainly be closed completely.

Hooked up the hose, cranked a few seconds, and it fired right up - even on a cold January day.

I hope this helps someone who may run into a similar issue -- working solenoid and linkage moving doesn't always = complete choke!

fsevin

Recruit

Thanks, JUSTINTIME. I got it fixed, thanks to suggestion from parts counter clerk at Thomas Marine, Gonzales, LA. When I put it all back together, I lined up (or so I thought) the choke solenoid bracket with the marks made from the bolts, to get it in the same place where it was previously. I was off maybe 1/8 inch too low, and the result was that even though the solenoid worked, and the linkage moved, it wasn't closing the choke completely. This is difficult to see in this model as you can only see the flaps with the air intake cover remove, and the solenoid bolts to that, so it is disconnected when inspecting. I looked at how far the linkage traveled, loosened the bolts, slid the solenoid higher, verifying that the linkage COULD travel more. Then I retightened in this new position, allowing the linkage to travel as far as it mechanically could. I assumed that the out-of-sight flaps would then certainly be closed completely.

Hooked up the hose, cranked a few seconds, and it fired right up - even on a cold January day.

I hope this helps someone who may run into a similar issue -- working solenoid and linkage moving doesn't always = complete choke!

Bodean2

Cadet

I have a 2002 115hp and had the same problem. If you choke by pushing the key in, check to see if your solenoid that actuates the choke is adjusted properly. Take the cover off of your engine. The solenoid is located, as you look a the front of your engine, on the front left of your engined above the carburator. It is attached with 2 bolts. Loosen those bolts and slide the solenoid up (it is adjustable). then tighten. this will tighten the choke linkage. if the choke does not close all the way, it will have a hard time starting when cold. this takes 5 minutes. It fixed my starting problems. Please try this before anything else. It works!

kenneth80

Seaman Apprentice

worked for me too after carb rebuild. Had a hard time finding out what was causing it..:cool: