Suzuki DT65 Engine Year & Cooling System?? Complete Novice

mWilsonNZ

Recruit
Gidday All

New to owning a boat - Purchased June 2009 (Fleetline 15ft with 65hp Suzuki Engine)

First question is what year the engine is.
I have browsed some sites and this forum and found that the first number on the ID plate suggests the year
The plate on my engine reads:
Top line - DT65
Second/Bottom Line - 6501 - 3....

From this I assume the year is either a 1973, 1983 or 1993 but don't know how to tell which?

Secondly I have taken boat out fishing probably about 8/9 times now (Ocean in Taranaki) and when I get back I always wash the boat and put the ear-muff connectors on the bottom part of the outboard and turn it on to flush out the salt-water

The last time I did this I noticed that the stream of water wasn't coming out from the top part of the side of the engine.

Not sure how long this has been the case or even what the stream of water is for/does but assume it is not good.

I had a quick look and there is a hose that goes from the outer case and on to a nipple on the side of the engine internal. The nipple part on the engine internal has little salt like crystals on it so perhaps it is blocked from the salt water?

If someone could let me know firstly what the stream of water is from/does, and also possibly how to get it back would be greatly appreciated (Possibly like to avoid taking in to boat shop to get them to check/repair as they charge like raging bulls)

Thanks in advance

Oh also is a 2-stroke motor if that helps.

Matt :)

Kreso

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DT65 Engine Year & Cooling System?? Complete Novice

Hi Matt!
This hose you mentioned is a water cooling system indicator hose. When the water runs from it, it means that water pump is working. it is a common problem that salt crystals are formed in it and you can clean them using a piece of wire. Just be careful not to make a hole in the hose, be gentle. If the water starts to flow when you start the engine, you have solved the problem. If it doesn't, maybe you have a problem with water pump (impeller).
Hope it helps.

mWilsonNZ

Recruit

Thanks for the reply

I thought perhaps it had something to do with the cooling.

The hose itself is not blocked as had removed it from the nipple that goes from the case to the block and I poked a bit of wire into the nipple but it only went in about 30mm then stops

When the engine is running there is a slight dribble from the nipple so does that mean something is obstructing the flow or that the pump is buggered?

Also regarding the year as far as I can research it must be a 1993 as majority of publications list dt65 manufacture from 1988 - 1997?

Have attached a couple of images of engine as would really like to know year so I can purchase repair manual etc

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Matt

Attachments

• suzuki001Small.jpg
    suzuki001Small.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
  • suzuki004Small.jpg
    suzuki004Small.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0

mWilsonNZ

Recruit

I am back to square one with the engine year :(

As per post above the ID tag on my outboard reads

SUZUKI DT65
6501 306684
Made In Japan

After looking at this parts site http://store.brownspoint.com/dt65.asp
It would seem 1973 is too early, 1993 serial numbers start with 06502 and 1983 doesn't exist... hmmmm

Surely one of the boat gurus on this site has owned this engine or knows someone that has and can kindly advise me of the year? :confused:

Thanks

Matt

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

looking at the numbers I would have to say it is a 1983.

Water pumps and thermostats need replacing on a regular bases.
If you have not replaced the water pump I would start with that but you may have some blockage inside the cooling passages also. Rubber from impellers tend to block things when they come apart, all over inside motors, And corrosion is always a possibility.

mWilsonNZ

Recruit

Okay

I also emailed the brownspoint guy and he agreed with what you have said that it is a 1983 engine - He recommended a manual that provided info from 1978 - 1982 engines so perhaps it is the end of this particular model that I have?

I will get the manual and pull apart to check impeller and go from there

Thanks

Matt

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Hi, you have a 1983 model, the pee hole does get clogged up sometimes so just wiggle a wire in there, water should also sputter from the discharge hole .....