Yamaha Enduro 8HP difficult to start

Bortiquai

Recruit
I have had my Yamaha Enduro 8HP long shaft 2-stroke outboard motor for 2 years. During that time, it always starts on the first pull and runs very well.

I use the motor to get my sailboat out of the marina, and then back in.

A couple months ago, I started having a problem where sometimes on the way back in, it wouldn't start. I guess it was flooded, so I disconnected the fuel line and pulled like crazy. Eventually, it would fire up and then run fine. This didn't happen every time, but became more and more frequent. Until i also started having trouble getting it going on the way out as well.

I brought it in to be serviced, and they said the replaced a gasket and a diaphragm in the carburetor that was causing fuel to leak in and flood. I got it home and it it is definitely not fixed. Now, pretty much every time, it is extremely difficult to start, and finally yesterday I couldn't get it started at all.

I've also replaced the spark plugs, and fuel line connectors. I'm not sure if the problem is flooding, or not enough fuel, or how to tell. I'm in Puerto Rico, and finding a good mechanic (of any kind) here is very difficult.

If anyone has any ideas for me to check, i would like to go through everything I am able to. Even now, if I can get it started, it runs very smooth, never stalls and the throttle is very responsive. It's just getting going that is the problem

Thanks
Matt