Yamaha 90 hp tlrb 2 stroke oil leak

rickndonna

Recruit
I have an oil leak coming fromthe oil tank. The plastic cap with wires on it is leaking from ubder the plastic cap, it obviously isn't getting a good seal. I believe it is the oil filter/oil level gauge cap. No obvious tears, anybody have any ideas on fixing this without replacing the entire assembly? Or how easy/ difficult to change the cap with the wires in it? Thanks

boatguy823

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Yamaha 90 hp tlrb 2 stroke oil leak

You can either replace the unit (which is not difficult) or you can install a stay tie around the rubber cap. If you replace the unit make sure you drain the oil tank before removing the sender also there is a small foam gasket on the bottom of the white plastic oil strainer.....BE SURE this goes back on on reassembly. Most of our customers opt for just putting the stay tie around the cap. As for difficulty in changing...just unplug the wire harness and pop it out of the tank. The strainer only fits one way on the unit ...just line up the little holes with the protrusions on the sending unit.

rickndonna

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 90 hp tlrb 2 stroke oil leak

Thanks for the info, didnt even think about the stay tie. Seems to have stopped the leak for now. Thanks for the info on changing the part as well. Seems pretty staright forward but I think I will have to remove the starter for access. The dang plastic cap and filter tube won't come out because it is hitting the starter. That seems pretty easy as well. Thanks again.