after market oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
anyone know if there is an after market oil filter for yamaha four stroke 2004 225hp

CR CRUISER

Seaman
Re: after market oil filters

I look after a fleet of guide boats for a friend of mine and go through about 36 of these filters a year. Last year I was paying $32CDN. each at the Yamaha dealer. This summer they went up to $52 each. They gave me a 20% discount for buying 20 at a time but that's still way too much for a simple spin on oil filter. The only aftermarket filter (that I've found) that is a direct replacement for the Yamaha filter is a Sierra. I tried a couple of them out but we are not confident in their quality. There was an issue with the filter draining out overnight and the motor knocking for about 5 seconds when started in the morning.
So we're back to using the genuine Yamaha filter but if there is another aftermarket replacement out there that works, I'd be glad to try it out.

robert graham

Admiral

For $52 I'd take that Yamaha filter to Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys or NAPA for a cross reference. NAPA may be your best bet. I'm guessing that Yamaha filter sits in there sideways and has a check valve built in it to keep the oil from running back in the motor. My VW rail buggy has a sideways filter like that with that little spring loaded check valve but Autozone has them for $3.75. Hope you guys can find a good match!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Give me some numbers off of the filter and I can see if I can cross it at O'Reilly's. Wix manufactures a huge line of filters, if anyone makes an after market for Yamaha Outboards, I bet it will be WIX. I will check tonight. Are the filters the same for all Yamaha outboards, let me know and I will check...

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, I'll bet Wix makes those filters or one so close it won't matter. I only change the filter on my rail buggy every 3rd oil change. I just remove it, let the oil drain out for a while and put it back on. I was talking with the guy that makes the paper filtration media for the oil filters and he said they're good for at least 15,000 miles. But on my cars I still change filters when I change the oil...old habits are hard to break! Good luck!

cuzmondo

Recruit

Yes, NAPA and Wix came out with a Yamaha filter last year for the Yamaha's. I don't recall the exact part number but both are identical and made in the same factory. These are top of the line filters, as are all NAPA gold and Wix filters made in Gastonia, NC. Wix has one additional digit in their numbering system.

Try this:
http://www.napafilters.com/filterlo...2&TempSubMake=922&TempModel=49094&TempEngine=

Anyway, as soon as my Y.E.S. warranty expires I'll be switching to NAPA. Used them in fleet operations for over 25 years and never had a filter related problem yet. Yamaha's are waaaayyyyyyy overpriced.

CR CRUISER

Seaman

Yes, NAPA and Wix came out with a Yamaha filter last year for the Yamaha's. I don't recall the exact part number but both are identical and made in the same factory. These are top of the line filters, as are all NAPA gold and Wix filters made in Gastonia, NC. Wix has one additional digit in their numbering system.

Try this:
http://www.napafilters.com/filterlo...2&TempSubMake=922&TempModel=49094&TempEngine=

Anyway, as soon as my Y.E.S. warranty expires I'll be switching to NAPA. Used them in fleet operations for over 25 years and never had a filter related problem yet. Yamaha's are waaaayyyyyyy overpriced.

I just talked to my local NAPA store (here in Canada) and my cost for the NAPA Gold 57000 is $32CDN. if I buy 10 at a time. It's better than Yamaha's price but still pretty damned expensive for an aftermarket oil filter.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

The WIX number for that NAPA 7000 filter crosses to WIX 57000. O'Reilly's carrys them, but may not have them in stock at your local store, but can get them in a day or two. If you ask your store, they can keep them in stock for you...

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I am going to order a WIX into my store, hopefully it will be here by Friday. I know it is a Pleat material like other filters, but the media is not paper, it is more of a fluffy fiber. I will also see if it is antidrain like the Yahama filter.

I do not have a 4-stroke motor, so I have no need for these, but I do know that WIX makes really good filters and I imagine that is they have a filter for the Yahama 4-stroke application, then it is made to all specs to work as the original replacement...

gss036

Commander

One thing for sure, none of the mfgs of the outboards make their own filters, so it would only be common sense that they are on the market in another name brand.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Old and inactive thread. Also it's talking about Yamaha filters, not Suzuki.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.