NEED Starter for Suzuki DT140 1981

Hi guys, the starter for my 1981 suzuki DT140 has kicked the can. I'm located here in Los Angeles CA and would like to find a good place to pick up replacement. Anyone know of any places I can buy the starter motor? I've seen it on ebay but don't want to wait for a week for the parts to get here. Willing to drive within reason if in southern california. Suggestions welcome Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: NEED Starter for Suzuki DT140 1981

Please tell us how you proved that the starter is bad, SH2000.

Four out of five replaced starters weren't bad. The most common real problem is wiring. Very quick, easy and inexpensive to fix.

JB , I'm a noobie so it would be great if you guys do pinpoint the problem and it is wiring. The starter got really hot after repeated attempts to start last week and had a burning smell to it. . I bang my head figuring why it wasn't starting so I tore the starter apart and here is what I found. I've done some research and was able to come across a diagram online that I've attached here. The bottom end of the amature which is marked as #6 in this diagram has an arrea that appears to be burnt, it was discolored and there is one groove on this small cylinder that is not smooth, i sanded out the burned areas but there is still one area that is not quite as smooth. This little cylinder at the bottom of the armature spins around the brush assembly holder indicated as #4 in the diagram. The magnets (brush) are worn unevenly on this assembly so that when it's spinning certain areas of the armature are closer to the brush than others. Also one of the wirings that connects from the magnets (brush directly to the assembly holder had been disengaged from the assembly holder itself so I reweleded to the plate. The area around where it came loose was also burnt so I sanded before rewelding. Having cleaned out the starter I put it back together and it started fine for 2 days. Today when it iddn't start again I pulled starter again and upon opening saw that the same area that I had sanded down the other day now also has "new" burn areas where I had sanded it. I removed the starter and connected directly to the battery to see if it would spin and it doesn't. If anyone ahs any ideas on whether or not this can be restored ore refurbished without going with a brand new starter I am open to suggestions. Also if I'm doing anything wrong let me know please. Thanks

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sure sounds like the starter bit the dust, SH2000.

Most auto starter rebuild shops can rebuild it for less than the price of a new one.

Good luck. :)