1993 40 Hp Suzuki Help

dudesikoff

Recruit
I saw a boat for sale for $800 and i want the motor, its a 1993 40 hp suzuki. I was told that suzkis are great motors especially the older ones. I was told that the old ones were made from cast iron and brass which made it a motor that will last forever. Is a 93' made with this construction?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 40 Hp Suzuki Help

First welcome.Since this is a non repair it would usually go in the general non repair outboard discussion but you have a specific Suzuki Q So I think you need to put this in the Suzuki section for a quick reply.
Outboards haven't beem made of cast iron and brass since the 1930s.
I doubt if Suzuki ever was. I believe the Suzuki is a good motor my main cincern would be good compression or a test run and if there is a well established dealer near by for service and parts.Most outboards should run many years with reasonable operation and good maintenance.There are lots of folks out there everyday running motors 40 or 50 years old or more that have never been rebuilt.
I have a 44 year old Merc 500 that till a few years ago was run routinely every summer.Its in temporary storage. I also have a 54 year old Bucaneer 5 that could be used every day if I had the oportunity.I'm sure the Suzuki could operate as long.
Evinrude/Johnson routine parts back to the 1950s are available right here at iboats 100s of BRP dealers and even NAPA auto parts.I think you will find Suzuki parts limited both in availability and local supply.