Suzuki DF6 dies when I give throttle - please help!

redcheese

Cadet
I just bought used 2006 Suzuki DF6 with (supposedly) only 2 tanks of gas through it.

Seller said it sat for a year, but was properly ran out of gas before he stored it.

Filled up with new gas. Started it in a bucket of water and idles fine, but if I give too much throttle it dies.

If I gradually give it throttle, I can get it into high RPM.

Any idea what the problem might be? How would you guys begin to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Suzuki DF6 dies when I give throttle - please help!

Sounds like a classic fuel delivery issue. Start at tank, fresh gas, tight fittings, primer bulb, quick disconnect on cowl, fuel filter, fuel pump, clean carbs. Drain carb first to see what's in it. Your carb may be plugged and need cleaning. Install fuel/water separator, use Sta-Bil Marine all the time, after you get this cleaned out and squared away, motor should run great.

Good Luck!

redcheese

Cadet

Thanks a lot! Just a few questions...

To rule out the fuel pump & filter, would you just remove the fuel line before the carb and start the engine directing fuel hose into a bucket? Steady stream = OK I suppose?

To drain the carb, is there just a screw in the float bowl?
Is this were water generally accumulates?

Removing the carb might be beyond my expertise level w/o a shop manual. Need to see about getting one of those if it needs a cleaning.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

robert graham

Admiral

There's a check valve in each end of the primer bulb and they both really need to work or replace bulb. Check fuel filter and O-ring gasket for good seal. The carb should have a drain plug on the side or bottom, probably a brass screw or hex bolt. Draining carb is a great way to keep them clean and free of water. You may have to get somebody to disassemble and clean your carb but it really shouldn't be too hard on a small motor like that. They have the water/fuel searators at Walmart for $27 and easy to mount with 2 screws, and it'll save you a lot of trouble down the river. Good Luck!