Yamaha 70hp Bearing Noise

Weary

Recruit
Hi guys
I have a 1994 70hp yamaha outboard with 257 hrs.
It's always ran great but due to lack of use and shortage of cash I was selling the boat and motor. The would be buyer took it to service agent for a pre purchase check - fair enough! Anyway,he came back wanting to re-negotiate the agreed price as the svc guy reported engine has an internal bearing noise. I spoke with the svc guy and says to his "Trained Ear" it could be a bottom bearing noise as this is the one thats closest to water. It doesn't sound any different to me ( using the big screwdriver test) He won't say if failure is imminent and says it might last 1 year to 5 year and if they open it up it might even be something else. Well, it's all a bit airy fairy to me and I've decided to keep the boat. Can anyone out there tell me of similar experience or how to determine an appropriate course of action.

Thanks folks!

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Yamaha 70hp Bearing Noise

Most probably nothing at all wrong with the motor/bearing...he may have been trying to screw you down on price or his "mechanic guy" honest but just mistaken. If you fog your motor for winterizing, that's the best thing you can do to prevent corrosion in all those needle roller bearings during down time,which could/would cause noise/failure. I run the same motor except 90HP and they make all kinds of noises when they're running. My wife and I were launching the boat one day and I thought I heard some sound coming from the motor and she said "you're just paranoid" and you know what, she was right!, and that's been five years ago. Good Luck!

Weary

Recruit

Thanks Robert, I think you're probably correct on all counts - and including the one about being paranoid.
Cheers!

rtark

Cadet

Being a retired used car salesman I have heard that story thousands of times. My advice, remind him:) that it is a USED motor with a used price.
If it is fairly priced, stand firm. Allow some wiggle room for yourself, you can always come down. No matter how cheap you price something, people always try to get it cheaper. They just like to think they are milking you so let them as long as you get your price, you will both be happy........Ray

Weary

Recruit

You're dead right Ray, that's indeed a very true statement.

cheers buddy
Don