Yamaha Engine mounted oil tank

rcdatadude

Cadet
I have a 1990 Yamaha ProV 150. I'm having trouble with the remote oil tank pumping oil into the engine mounted tank. I'm working on trying to figure out what that issue is. I have one other question. I've noticed posts on the forum by Rodbolt that say.

"NEVER remove the engine tank screen/switch assy without first DRAINING the engine tank and ALWAYS retrieve and replace the screen to tank seal.
failure to follow this can lead to catastrophic engine failure."

In the manuals I have for reference, at the top of the engine tank, there is a removable cylindrical device the manual calls a Main Oil Level sensor. It appears to have a screen in it and a couple of vent holes toward the top. It also has a couple of triangles. One on the tank and the other on the sensor for alignment. I can't take it completely out since the wiring harness is short, but I have pulled it out as far as I could. Have I done something wrong? I didn't drain the oil from the tank before I did this, and I have done it 1/2 a dozen times. If I did do something wrong, what do I need to do to make sure the engine isn't damaged next time I use it? I am a newbie.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha Engine mounted oil tank

There is a foam gasket that goes between the "screen" or "level indicator" and the bottom of the tank. It's about the size of a nickel with the center removed (like a donut). This is the gasket you don't want to lose as it will clog up the oil from feeding into your engine.

As far as oil not making it to your engine tank, search this forum... There are volumes written on how to trouble shoot the whole system and it's not that complicated...

Good luck!

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My lift pump on the big oiltank gave out on my 97 130 once.

I had to pop the underhood tank lid off and add oil to get off the lake.

12V postitve and negitave to the lift pump, you can hear if it is running.

rcdatadude

Cadet

Thanks Guys!

One further question.... I'm planning on getting another "spongy" O-ring as a replacement. If I look at the existing O-ring, and it looks good and is intact, should I worry about anything (sludge or other trash) that might have gotten past the O-ring when I pulled it out? Basically, should I plan on removing and cleaning up the oil pump before I fire the engine up again? Thanks again!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

how much debris was on the bottom of your engine tank after draining.
gasket is like 40 cents.
have you searched the forum on how your pbs system works?

rcdatadude

Cadet

I finally found the time and received the parts to get the PBS up and running. It turned out that it was the pump in the remote oil tank. The remote tank is now pumping oil into the main tank. I ran out of daylight today, but will focus on the main engine tank tomorrow. Based on my last post, I was concerned that I had removed the sensor "shaft" out of the main engine tank without knowing to drain the tank first. I will drain the tank tomorrow as well as look to see if the spongy O-ring is still intact. Either way, I will replace it with a new one. The remaining question is..... At what point should I feel ok about firing the engine up again? If there isn't any "trash or sludge" in the bottom of the engine tank after it's drained, and the spongy "seal" is still intact, would it be ok to put it back into the water?

Also, since I will be draining the main tank, but not removing the pipe between the tank and the oil pump, will I need to bleed the system before I fire it up?

By the way, the remote tank didn't have any trash or sludge in it. The filter on the remote tank didn't seem clogged, although I replaced it anyway. I would think that would be a good indicator that the main tank was clean, but still not sure.

As always, thanks for your help.

Last edited:

rcdatadude

Cadet

Rodbolt.....what would you recommend? Do I need to take it in and have the oil pump taken out and serviced just to cover everyting, or if the main tank is clean (including the water trap) and the seal is intact....I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just looking for a little advice.... Thanks!

rcdatadude

Cadet
UPDATE: Yamaha Engine mounted oil tank

UPDATE: Yamaha Engine mounted oil tank

I received the new water traps today with some other parts. I cut the water trap off the main oil tank and drained it into a funnel with a fine mesh screen that I hoped would filter out any trash. There wasn't any trash in the oil that came out of the tank. I turned up the water trap into a plastic bag and let what was in it drain out. There was no trash there either. I took the bolts off the oil tank, and removed the filter out of the top. There wasn't a "spongy" seal at the end of it. As a matter of fact, there wasn't a spongy seal at all. The tank was clean... There was no remnants of any seal. It didn't appear that there had ever been one there... I've got new seals, so I know what they look like. I have a hard time believing that the whole seal would have been shoved down the 1/4 inch hole with out any being left in the tank. Thoughts?