Suzuki 200 HP 2 stroke (Problem shifting into forward)

BuckVegas

Cadet
My friend "Wallybme" put the original post in for me since I was not registered for this site. Now I am free to post so....to add some detail to Wallybme's post. My boat is a 1996 Party Cruiser with a 200 HP Suzuki 2 stroke.
I'm not sure about the year or model of the motor yet. I'm really a novice at this, but hope to become sharper in a short period of time.
At any rate...the motor seems to run fine and starts right up, idles well, etc. Once or twice on the first trip out on the water there was some hesitation in the gears engaging when shifting from reverse to forward.
On my second trip out, the problem became progressively worse over the course of a couple hours on the water. It ultimately reached the point where I wasn't sure if I could get it to engage at all when attempting to move forward. I could reliably shift it into reverse and seemed to react normal when moving backwards. At one point I had decided I might need to back it all the way to the boat ramp. The last time I successfully engaged the shifter in the forward position, it took about 10 or more attempts before it finally caught and began moving forward. Each time I moved the lever to the forward position the motor made a rapid ratcheting sound, (like the teeth of two gears running across each other but not catching.
Thus far I have read a few of the strings here and have learned a little about the lower end, but I'm really still pretty ignorant at this point. I will order a repair book and start studying, but in the mean time I am looking for some ideas on how I might troubleshoot the rig to get some idea if it is an adjustment issue or a hardware replacement issue. There are no Suzuki Dealers within 200 miles of here.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
:)

Last edited:

gmlees

Cadet
Re: Suzuki 200 HP 2 stroke (Problem shifting into forward)

You need to check your cable and linkage to make sure everything to the engine is actually moving the shifting mechanism at the engine into forward and reverse. Move the hand control to forward and check the motion at the engine. If all that checks out and is indeed moving the engine linkage as it should then you will need to go deeper into the lower unit. Basically that linkage slides 2 bevel gears forward or rearwards to engage the drive gear that sits in the middle, all on a spring loaded mechanism. I would suggest looking at some parts diagrams of lower units so that you have an idea of how the thing works, you can find those diagrams on the web at any place that sells parts. The lower unit is not a real complicated piece but can be a little difficult depending on your level of mechanical skill. MAKE SURE the controls/cables are working correctly and are indeed moving the engine linkage into the proper position before you start on anything deeper. It may be you have a part holding your linkage together that has partially fallen off, or it could be as bad as the gears being wiped out requiring a complete lower unit rebuild.

BuckVegas

Cadet

Thanks for the insight GMLees. It gives me a place to start. The weekend is finally here so maybe I can get out to take a look at the linkage. Cold today but I guess it will only get colder in the comming days so I better get started.
Thanks again. :)

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

easist way to check lower end damage, drain gear oil through fine screen and post picture of any thing caught in screen.if nothing is in screen the its cable, linkage or controls.