Suzuki DT115 help

Jones064

Cadet
Hi I Came across 2 free boats one with a suzuki DT115 motor on it. This boat and motor has sat for at least 2 years uncovered. The motor ran before it sat but had a overheating problem. The prop is pretty beat up and the lower fin is broken half way off. My question is is it worth time and money to fix up?

I am in the market for a fishing boat so free is always good. So if anyone knows anything about this motor please i would like some advice. The boats in FAir condition and the floor seems solid. 18' glasspar. Trailer looks in awsome condition besides tire being flat.

Please any advice is welcome! im new into boats but a veteran in jetskis so im comfortable with minor repairs

mg924s

Recruit
Re: Suzuki DT115 help

The overheating issues are common in the Suzuki DT115/DT140 series of outboards. A rubber gasket, located under the water pump, deteriorates and brakes apart. The water pump will then suck in exhaust gases (or air) from the exhaust passage in the lower unit. In order to replace the gasket, you will have to remove the lower unit (very easy) and remove the bottom plate of the water pump. Warning! When removing the bottom plate of the water pump, many folks will strip the screws. Since these screws are located inside of the water pump, they get really stuck. I would recommend using a tool called an "impact driver" (a special screw driver that you hit with a hammer) to loosen the stubborn screws.

You will need parts #13, 14, & 19 , from the following parts diagram:
http://store.brownspoint.com/dt115/fig045-1158601.asp

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I have a DT115. I have not had an overheating problem with mine, but I can see where there is logic in your explanation.

If you got that boat for free, but do not want to do anything with it, I will take that DT115 off of your hands as a parts motor for mine... Where are you located...

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Difficult to tell you what to do. I had a DT115 EFI. I blew it up, my fault. The oil filter became clogged and it scored the #2 cylinder. I mistook the oil warining for overheating.

It worked great up unitl then. I now have a DT140 EFI. Clean it up and see if it will run.