Suzuki DT150 - port engine will not start

thecow18

Cadet
When I first bought the boat I took it out for a fishing trip, drove it for 15-20 min and shut the engines off to fish. Tried to start it and the port engine would not start. Took it to the Suzuki repair shop and they replace the ignition switch and it started up again. Took it out to fish afterwards and after running it again for 10 min, I stopped the engines and tried to restart it and the port engine would not start. Took it back to the shop, they told me it was the CDI, which I proved them wrong by switching the CDI from the starboard engine to the port engine and then the port engine to the starboard engine. No difference so I took it back to the repair shop, then told me it was the stator, had that replace, it started up fine so I took it out fishing again and after running it for a few hours of trolling I decided to stop it and see if it will start up again. To my disappointment, the port engine would not start up? Now it is back at the shop again.

Is there something that could be causing the engine not to start after you run the engine for a while? The same routine each time. I replaced something, it would start up fine. I would run the engine, stop it then it would not start up again.....Strange that after each part was replaced the repair shop would test start it several times and so did I after picking it up with no issues. It is not until I take it out in the water and run it for a while that the issue returns. The engine cranks but does not want to start.

thanks for your help..... :confused::confused:

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: Suzuki DT150 - port engine will not start

when it doesnt start check for spark.

if you have spark check for fuel.
is it a fuel injected or carbed dt

reeldutch

Lieutenant

are there splices in the main wiring harnas?

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

check the stator output - possibly, you have a bad winding.

check the neutral safety switch - Suzuki made a system which kills the spark instead of the starter like most everyone else when detects it not in neutral.

thecow18

Cadet

there are no splices in the wiring harness. A few people have suggested the neutral switch. Hopefully the repair shop will check that but I will ask them when they call me to verify that the neutral switch has been tested.

thanks,

thecow18

Cadet

I was thinking about this issue and was thinking could the repair shop be trying to milk me for money. they maybe know what the issue is where they can easily reset the unit so that the engine will start after recommending a part to be replaced knowing that the problem could possibly return after the engine is run for a while. They recommended 3 things to be replace and one of them was the CDI or engine control module which they where trying to charge me $2100 to do and the stator with a charge of around $850. I proved them wrong about the CDI. Don't know how they can tell me the unit needs to be replaced when there was nothing wrong with it. I am no expert in diagnosing things but they should be 100% sure that a unit is bad before they tell a customer a unit is bad. Now the Stator has been changed and now the same problem is still there. I run the engine for a while and it won't start again. The engine cranks but no spark to the plugs.

It does not make any sense how they can replace something, the engine starts up and then the exact same problem returns after I run the engine for a while. :confused::confused:

Hopefully I am wrong about this.......

Knightgang

Lieutenant

It does not make any sense how they can replace something, the engine starts up and then the exact same problem returns after I run the engine for a while. :confused::confused:

Hopefully I am wrong about this.......

Then what they are replacing is not the problem. Not sure I would trust that shop anymore. They should always begin with the simplest, and least expensive solution, rule them out one by one until they actually get to the problem...

joshlmatthews

Recruit

I had the same exact problem with an engine that i had several years ago. i could run to the spot, fish, and the engine would just turn over when i wanted to leave. My repair guy replaced the several things before we found that it was the stator assembly. Luckily, my repair man said that if the part that he installed didnt fix the problem, he would pull it out, put my original in, and not charge me anything. It was extremely frustrating because it would start everytime I didnt want it to, and wouldnt when I did. It sounds like the same problems that I had, I would say that the issue is with the stator or something connected with it.

thecow18

Cadet

Issue has been resolved. Thanks for everyones input. I drove up to the repair shop with my brother and checked out the neutral switch on the motor. Turns out that the rod that connects and disconnects to the neutral switch was getting stuck on the off position or was not touching the neutral switch when I put the engine back into neutral. The computer was not getting a reading from the neutral switch so it was still thinking the motor is in gear preventing me from starting the engine while in gear. I fixed this by adjusting the cable that is connected to this rod so now it connects or disconnects from the neutral switch like it is supposed to......

Thanks for everyone help....:)

dmon

Recruit

I have the same problem on my 115, could you tell me where I could find the rod that connects to the neutral safety switch. I'm a nubie on maint. and would appreciate it if I could get a diagram of where this is located. thanks much. I was told since this happened twice, it might be better to by-pass the switch, but I don't know how this is done either.

johnodiver34

Recruit

i'm having the same trouble with my port engine,i also found that the engine doesnt want to shift into gear easy it seems to chatter then goes into gear so im gonna check the safty switch and the binnicle for to much play.

thecow18

Cadet

it would be best to have a helper with you. one person needs to move the throttle up and down, the other person needs to look into the outboard and see which rods are moving. Follow the rods and you will see a device with a little arm touching and untouching another device as you move the throttle into neutral and into gear. I forgot which one but when you are in neutral the little arm either touches the other device or untouches the other device and vice versa if you put it into gear. If only one of the options is happening when you put it into neutal and in gear then adjust your rods so that the little arm moves properly.