Suzuki DF 140 Oil leak

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just went through most of what your describing, short of the milky oil, on my Yammy F150. I'm not sure how the Suzuki works but Yamaha has their oil pump placed on the bottom of the motor, and the driveshaft goes through it to insert into the crankshaft. I had oil coming down my driveshaft which eventually wound up coming through various holes in the leg. The seals were gone in the oil pump, so I replaced the entire pump as the Yammy has about 5 different seals in the pump. But, what I also found, was that there is a base gasket, made of metal, that goes between the bottom of the powerhead and the cowling where the motor sits in. This gasket was also shot, and although it wasn't leaking oil into the exhaust, which it very well could, it was leaking oil around the bulkhead where the oil pump sits and also down some of the bolts that hold the powerhead to the case. I'm not sure if this is what your problem is or if you've pulled your powerhead off already, but its what I had to do to mine....Sherm

clanton

Rear Admiral
Check the oil cooler gaskets, behind the oil filter, also check the oil cooler for leaks.

Vinh280

Recruit
Thanks Egorena and Dpekin. I am very certain its the same problem. I check it out later on today. The engine runs fine so it has to be the oil cooler. Thanks again. PS what is the part number for this seal/gasket?

Last edited:

Birdman59

Cadet
I have a 08 Suzuki 140 HP it was over hauled in San Diego New Short block, Engine holder, Oil Pan etc,,,My Boat is on Kauai I notice Oil Film on top the Cavitation Plates and checked the oil dip stick and it showed half oil then I started the motor on the trailer and ran it 15-20 minutes turn off and checked the dip stick and now it only shows a 1/4" oil on stick! were is oil going? The work was done by Suzuki mechanic at Shelter Island! what should I check for? Maybe water coming out engine from Prop or vents? What else! I took off the complete Cowl Panel no leaks The Oil filter and cooler look new! I can remember if he put a new cooler but it looks new! Thanks

dpekin

Cadet
Oil cooler is under the oil filter. Mine looked fine but didn't hold pressure so it was dumping oil into the exhaust water at a prodigious rate. Sounds like what you have going on.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - Please start new threads with your problems. That's the preference in this forum. Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Just a word to the wise (or unwise as the case may be). For heavens sake, don't leave the dock when the dipstick shows low oil level -- especially if know the engine is consuming or leaking oil which are the only two reasons engines do that. That is simply engine abuse for one thing and asking for trouble besides. An engine running on half it's oil is asking that oil to lubricate. Proper lubrication requires proper oil temperature. Yes -- there is an oil cooler on this engine. But think about it. If an oil cooler is required when all things are normal, is it adequate when only half the oil is present. That warning system works on oil PRESSURE as well as oil LEVEL. Those are two different characteristics. Understand them to save yourself some spendy repairs.

Birdman59

Cadet
Well since nobody reply to my new post I will continue here! The Oil cooler is new I took it off and had it checked by a mechanic its good no pin hole leaks! My conclusion is that the the main gaskets were not sitting right! The oil leak is not as bad as I thought when you check oil you let the engine sit an hour to get a correct reading! so it used one quart after three days but since I spent $10k on this motor complete over haul I don't want a oil leak! So I might have to take it apart to change the dam gaskets! Any INPUT is appreciated! Merry Christmas