Suzuki DF 140 Oil leak

fishmad

Cadet
Hi all , I did try and look for this problem on past posts but i think i have a first , I recently purchased a 2003 DF 140 on a Signature Boat ( AUSSIE HERE ) and Basically it leaks Engine oil from the exhaust inlet and also the water vent were it sucks the water in . I have rang a few local dealers and asked around . The most comon answer was the sump cracked which then got filled with Methaleted spirits to see for cracks , None seen , Then Heated and pressure tested , Came back all Okay ! Next was check rear main seal Seal looks to be in good Condition and Bearing also , Checked all Gaskets and exhaust ports for oil in power head all okay and dry ! Basically I am Stumped as too are the dealers . We have not put it back toghether as yet and i optioned to replace the rear main seal ( Which looked okay ) But am hesitiant to put together as we have not found a root cause !

Any avice or experience would be great

Thanks Mark

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: Suzuki DF 140 Oil leak

im sorry but i dont understand what you mean with watervent were it sucks water in, and inlet for exhaust.
im confuesed here.

if its dripping down the exhaust(PROP) and water screen i would not forget to check the lower unit gear oil.

fishmad

Cadet

im sorry but i dont understand what you mean with watervent were it sucks water in, and inlet for exhaust.
im confuesed here.

if its dripping down the exhaust(PROP) and water screen i would not forget to check the lower unit gear oil.

Sorry There Dutch ,

The oil would leak between trips from the Yes water vent and also from a small hole in the leg just behind the electrode . It was definately leaking engine oil i know because it ran out 2 times in a row out at sea . Causing me to refill on the water ! I only motored for a total 2hrs and used all the oil in the motor . While not being used it would leak slowly onto the ground in a week a patch the size of a roll of masking tape would appear

Hope this makes more sense

Regards

reeldutch

Lieutenant

so you are saying you run out ofengine oil running the motor???

no alarms?

no failsafe mode?

no blown bearings?

someting doesnt make sense.

the DF140 takes almost 6 quarts of engine oil.
did you check it on the dipstick and there was no oil?

fishmad

Cadet

so you are saying you run out ofengine oil running the motor???

no alarms?

no failsafe mode?

no blown bearings?

someting doesnt make sense.

the DF140 takes almost 6 quarts of engine oil.
did you check it on the dipstick and there was no oil?

Hi Dutch,

Yes fail safe mode came on both occasions alarms etc !

No blown bearings .

Checked oil before fishing trip , Appeared half full on dipstick . Motored for 1 hour out to sea fished for 5 hours headed home for the hour trip in and just before getting to ramp the alarm comes on and fail safe mode kicks in .
Check oil and yes empty !

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the oil that leaks out didnt look like it had water in it?
like a big milkshake?
or was it black?
or was it like brand new oil that you just put in?

how do the sparkplugs look.
did they do a leakdown test before the teardown?

fishmad

Cadet

the oil that leaks out didnt look like it had water in it?
like a big milkshake?
or was it black?
or was it like brand new oil that you just put in?

how do the sparkplugs look.
did they do a leakdown test before the teardown?

Oil was clear new like oil just put in ! Slight amount of milkyness 10 %

Leakdown test ? No my Mate ( Mechanic ) and i pulled it down . Rang numerous dealers before strip down . All Said Sump or Rear main seal .

Spark plugs have not checked as yet, What should i look for ?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

actualy im afraid that the most logical answer i can come up with is that if the oil leaks out of the motor empty that is has to be at the bottum of the oilpan(sump).

there is no other way to loose all the oil than draining it from the bottum of the oilpan like the drainscrew.

if it was something else you would still have oil in it.

i dont know the price of a new oil pan but you might want to consider that before putting it back together.

may be do a test with just the oilpan. plug it and fill it and let it sit overnight.

fishmad

Cadet

actualy im afraid that the most logical answer i can come up with is that if the oil leaks out of the motor empty that is has to be at the bottum of the oilpan(sump).

there is no other way to loose all the oil than draining it from the bottum of the oilpan like the drainscrew.

if it was something else you would still have oil in it.

i dont know the price of a new oil pan but you might want to consider that before putting it back together.

may be do a test with just the oilpan. plug it and fill it and let it sit overnight.

Dutch ,

I have done the following tests on the sump

# Filled it with Metho , No leak
# Heated it then filled with water , No leak
# It was pressure tested , No leak

Sump was inspected and approved from Suzuki dealer

This is why i am here also checking if others have heard of this before .

The dealer said the other possibilty is the rear seal under the main bearing in the sandwich panel ( Base between sump and Power head ) i have optioned to replace this even though dealer said it looked to be in good condition !

I just hope this is it ! BTW thanks for your help

reeldutch

Lieutenant

than if its been tested and it wasnt leaking your oilpan is good and the seal to.

i do believe that that seal is not at the bottum of the oil pan so i dont think its the seal. but i would replace it anyway.
just a stupid question is the cruswasher leaking under the cowling .
probably not.

i dont know man
hope its the seal.

fishmad

Cadet

than if its been tested and it wasnt leaking your oilpan is good and the seal to.

i do believe that that seal is not at the bottum of the oil pan so i dont think its the seal. but i would replace it anyway.
just a stupid question is the cruswasher leaking under the cowling .
probably not.

i dont know man
hope its the seal.

Cruswasher ? Not sure what this ?

No the seal is on the bottom of the main bearing ! Above the Sump

Thanks anyway

reeldutch

Lieutenant

crush washer is the washer that should be on the oil drain screw and should always be replaced with every oilchange
its a one time washer

bezerk

Seaman Apprentice

check the oil cooler.
when you say your out of oil ,you mean none showing on dip stick ? this does not mean you have no oil ! if you had no oil you would be looking for a power head instead of a leak !

fishmad

Cadet

check the oil cooler.
when you say your out of oil ,you mean none showing on dip stick ? this does not mean you have no oil ! if you had no oil you would be looking for a power head instead of a leak !

I mean the motor shuts down and alarms come on 3000 rpm rev limiter kicks in ! Out of oil ?

Does that help Bezerk ?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

when you said its leaking out of oil i asumed the whole oil pan drained out of oil??

wich would make the oilpan very suspicious.
if its not out of oil thats a other ball game.

i said it takes almost 6 quarts of oil.
that didnt ring a bell ???

if thats not the case you could have bad wiper rings blowing oil past the rings and getting inthe exhaust.

i cant realy help we need the right diagnose more information.
to bad its ripped appart.

wairere

Recruit

I have the same issue. Just discovered it. On the back of the engine where the water discharges, oil runs out of the openning. Just below water discharge. When engine is tilted up, it will drain into boat. The oil is a red color. Just got boat, previous owner said there may be to much oil in the engine??

Egorena

Recruit

I have the same issue. Just discovered it. On the back of the engine where the water discharges, oil runs out of the openning. Just below water discharge. When engine is tilted up, it will drain into boat. The oil is a red color. Just got boat, previous owner said there may be to much oil in the engine??

I wish I had this problem. It is your engine oil cooler. Replace the orings and you should be fine. Need to run your engine in a barrel of water with Cascade dish washing detergent. Your entire cooling system is bathed in oil. This is why your engine drips oil when sitting overnight. Remove oil filter and oil cooler beneath it. Good luck!

dpekin

Cadet

Hello,

I have EXACTLY this problem. After running 2 hours the low oil protection engages and 4 quarts of oil have leaked out!!!

If I run the engine in idle, I can see an oil sheen building from the boat. If I catch the exhaust water in a bucket, there is clearly engine oil in it....

Did you ever find the solution?

My guess right now is that the head gasket may have corroded and caused a small hole from an oil gallery to the cooling water jacket. Since there's positive pressure in the crank case, this would push oil out and not allow water in.

Please let me know what you found since I need to take my engine in and I don't want the mechanics throwing darts at a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Vinh280

Recruit
Guys,
I need to bring this post back. I have oil leak down thru the drive shaft. Have anyone figure out what was the root cause of the oil leak for this motor? A little history here. The motor had milky oil last year and I replaced the thermostat and it ran OK for several months. All the sudden now I start losing oil and it is clearly coming out thru the exhaust. Thanks for any info.
V.

dpekin

Cadet
My Suzuki 140 ran great but was dumping oil into the exhaust H2O. I thought cracked block or head gasket and big $$$. That wasn't it. The problem was a faulty oil cooler. The 140 has an oil cooler under the oil filter. It is a heat exchanger that is in the water flow. So, when the oil cooler failed, it allowed oil to leave the engine oil system and dump into the cooling water stream. Luckily the oil cooler is positive pressurized so no water was allowed back into the engine oil system..

Thank God for the low oil detect electronics which limit RPM or I might have burned up my engine.

Good luck