Yamaha 225TLRP knocking in LU

DoubleWeber

Seaman
Ive got a 225BETO 91, semes to be the same as TLRP. It started knocking after I got it back from a insurance repaire of the lower unit. The local yamaha shop dont have a clue on how to repaire motors so Im never gonne use them again. They have let me down for the last time. :(
The waterpump dont have the wave washer solution.
I think the LU is even older then 91. When I got the motor it was missing the covers for the water inlet and I found the correct parts on the 1986 200hp parts picture. So it semes to be a 1986 LU.

Rodbolt: You mentioned that a compression spring under the driveshaft should controll knock. I took a brief look at the parts picture, but couldent see it. Can you help me locate it?

If that job turns out to be to difficult for me, can I use a "wave washer pump" to sort of controll the knocking sound? Like kind of a shortcut. ;)

Thanks for all your answers. The level of expertise is very high in here. :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 225TLRP knocking in LU

the gearcase on US market motors for 2.6L engines were not machined for the wave washers until 1995.
as your engine is a non US market motor my experience is limited.
the compression spring,if used on a BETO engine is located under the drive shaft and should show up on a 225BETO parts list.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

item 12, the one that says spring compression.
be AWARE that a BETO is a NON US market motor and MAY NOT share any parts with a TLRP which is a US market motor.

DoubleWeber

Seaman

I cant seme to find any info, parts pictures, online regarding BETO. Ill check it out with yamaha local if its the same. Thanks.

btw: strange that I didnt see it on the picture. Must have been tired...

DoubleWeber

Seaman

But if it turns out that everything in my lower unit is from 1986, since I had to get the covers to the water inlet from a 200hp 86. Where is the spring on that one?
I find to sets of springs, but non of them are located under the driveshaft...

Please take a look:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1986/200ETLJ Outboard/LOWER DRIVE 1/parts.html

Its tireding to have a frankenstein motor. Put together with parts from all over time.