97 yamaha ss 200's knocking noise

brico

Cadet
ran boat empty this weekend thanks to a bad fuel sender and a teenage boy who just keeps wrecking my stuff. filled up with gas to get home and temp alarm went off. Idled fine seemed just a high rpms is when the alarm occurred. Iwent through everything and beleive the pressure relief valve was stuck because when I took it out it was **** eyed in the spring when i pulled it out. Ran it and checked engine block after running at 4700 for 10 minutes or so and the engine block and thermistor read about 120ish. Checked it against the other engine and seems to be simmilar (so I think I got that one licked) however the larger problem is that when I had the cowlins off I notice the same engine had a knock to it. Now I just changed the water pumps in september and everything seems to be flowing properly out the tell tale. This engine maintained with LOVE since I owned it but this is the first time I did the pumps (so I'm nervous). It sounds like the sound is coming from the rear of the motor all the way down to where the lower unit shaft connects to the power head. Check compression and all read between 110-115 and have spark on all plugs. It also is knocking when I through it in gear at the dock at about 1200rpm can't here at WOT. Please Help! Rodbolt or any yamaha guys Ray, Etc

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 97 yamaha ss 200's knocking noise

did you pull up on the drive shaft when you seated the lock collar and retainer on the impeller ?

brico

Cadet

that I cannot remember. I don't remember intentionally doing it so probably not. Will it cause problems if I wait to check it til the next service or should I pull it and re-do and is there a way I can tell without pulling the lower unit (like play in the flywheel or something. I tried using a stethescope to pinpoint but I can hear it all over. I didn't listen with the stethescope that far down to the impeller .any suggestions

Last edited:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if the two flat washers and the wavy washer are not installed correctly or you fail to pull up on the shaft,per service manual, when seating the retainer you will get a driveshaft bearing knock. most pronounced at low speed in gear.

brico

Cadet

Is it something that needs to be done immediately or will it cause more damage if I run it and do it on the next scheduled maintenance. Thanks Rodbolt for all your help you are an awesome source of information. Keep posting.

DoubleWeber

Seaman

I have a 225BETO and I have that nocking noise as well. At low speed in gear. It came after the yamaha dealer did a insurance job on the lower unit when i think about it.
Rodbolt, can you refere to where in the manual I can read about that? I have the Seloc 84-96 manual.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno on a BETO motor as its not a US market engine.
if your lower unit utilizes the 2 flat and 1 wavy washer just abobe the pump impellor its quite possible it wasnt installed correctly.
incorrect installation will result in an annoying low speed knock.
doesnt seem to hurt anything its just annoying.

DoubleWeber

Seaman

My motor seems to be the same as 225TLRP. And it just happend that the controll beam for the cooling stopped. So I took the LU apart and orderd a new pump from boats.net
Im receiving the parts any day now. Ill try to put it together the right way so Ill avoid the nocking noise in the future.
It would be helpful if you knew where in the manual it describes the mounting problem/issue your refering to. But if you dont know the manual that I got Im still very glad that you brought the solution to this "thread". I was thinking that I might have had a much bigger problem to solve. Im gonne do my best and hope for a good test(run).
Thanks ^_^

robert graham

Admiral

go to: bogueinletnc.com/yamaha for step by step instructions with photos for several Yamaha maintenance/repair procedures including water pump replacement. It mentions lifting the drive shaft while sliding the washers down the shaft to eliminate the up and down play that causes the knocking sound. Hope you find this helpful and good luck!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

do some forum searching and you will find I have posted a step by step bolt by bolt instructions, its for a V4 post 1995 but other than one additional bolt (3.1L and 3.3L)under the cavitation plate and just fwd of the trim tab its all the same.

DoubleWeber

Seaman

Rodbolt: Im having problems finding your "step by step" post. Can you help me locate it?

robert graham

Admiral

I couldn't find it either, would be very interested in reviewing it, so please share location. Thanks!

DoubleWeber

Seaman

I dont seme to have the wave washer and the flat washers. I ordered parts following the 1991 225TLRP parts picture from boats.net, and there is fewer parts there then on newer pumps. I find the parts on 250hp 1991 though.
Should I order a newer pump with the wave washers etc? Will the parts fitt? The nocking noise should be linked to wrong installation of the wave washer, but I dont have one..?
Please help me clarify.

DoubleWeber

Seaman

I tried to pull up and push down on the driveshaft and I got a knocking sound. I could move it about 2mm.

The driveshaft semes to be the same as you find on newer motors. The same part number. Is it any point in installing a waterpump with these wave washer/flat washers to stop the driveshaft from wandering up and down? Or is that no good?