Suzuki 150 V6 with 12 spark plugs

aztecrich

Cadet
I found this 1986 Suzuki 150 V6 and to my amazement it requires 12 spark plugs. Is this common? Are plugs cheaper by the dozen? lol, Ive never seen this before, Does it use them all at the same time? Curious minds sure want to know what the deal is, Can anyone help me with this? Im told the motor runs good and that the compression is 105-107 in all holes, Is this ok for a suzie? I may buy it for my Champion bass boat.
Thanks for any help you can give me on this, Serial number is 15001 601651

Old men just want to go fishing
Retired widower seeks retired widow with boat and motor, Please send pics of boat and motor

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki 150 V6 with 12 spark plugs

I had a 87 Suzuki 150 HP Super Six, and that is what is called. I used mine on my Procraft 20' and thought it had great power. According to my friend and he is a professional boat mechanic, it does fire both plugs at the same time. And it does have a bit better power because its burning the gas in the cyl more completely. He compared it to like having a 175hp. Unfortunately, I burned a hole in the #3 piston of my 87, this past March, with my first trip out this season for a day of fishing with my wife. My friend attributed the problem to a plugged carb jet on that cyl, or that it was running to lean. I then bought another 88 150hp Suzi, but this one only has 6 plugs, so its normal (lol) but it blew up (not normal lol)10 min after I hooked up everything. It had a bad lower unit that I had put my lower unit on. But the prev owner had let it over rev too much when he lost his prop, and my friend says he can make one good one out of the two of them. I should have it back on the water by Spring. Money for these boats is hard to come by these days. I like them, they are a strong motor, and when everything is right with them, they are a great motor. Just be sure you do use ethanol treatment in your gas, ethanol is gonna be the killer of all boat motors so be sure to always treat the gas and use a water separator filter system, too. Both of which I had failed to do in my case.

gmlees

Cadet

It is common in aircraft engines to use 2 plugs per cyl., they both fire together, they also use 2 mags. The ignition switch has the ability to fire one set at a time, #1 mags, #2 mags and both. On pre flight testing the pilot should check to see that all are operational. A 200 rpm rise will be seen when both sets are going as compared to one set. If you take off with just one set going the engine will seem sick flip to both and the engine feels like someone hit the nitros button. So the dual plugs does cause more complete combustion with these engines, it is also a back up system in a aircraft situation. Not all engines will have the same results but that was Suzuki's goal in your situation.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i would be very carefull with these motors.
they are fuel injected and the super 6 is a motor designed to run at the very edge of running lean. EPA pushed the standarts in the mid 90.
be verry anal with your fuel system and it cannot hurt to run a high octane level like 93.
i would be carefull thats all.
i know a guy who had his engine rebuild 3 times.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

i would be very carefull with these motors.
they are fuel injected and the super 6 is a motor designed to run at the very edge of running lean. EPA pushed the standarts in the mid 90.
be verry anal with your fuel system and it cannot hurt to run a high octane level like 93.
i would be carefull thats all.
i know a guy who had his engine rebuild 3 times.

I doubt the 1986 Super 6 is fuel injected.

-E

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have a 97 FORD RANGER with a 4 cyl. engine. Has 2 plugs per cyl. Supposed to be for emissions. Years ago, changed plugs on PRATT 4360s. 28 cyls, 56 plugs. FRED

clanton

Rear Admiral

You will be more amazed if you have to buy ignition system parts.