50hp Yamaha controls to tiller

Gillagorilla

Cadet
I am looking at a 2003 50hp 2 stroke that has the remote control box. For simplicity on my skiff I am wondering if it is feasable to convert it to a tiller steer/throttle set up. If this sounds like a dumb thing to do or wasted money just let me know.

Thanks

blackbox

Seaman
Re: 50hp Yamaha controls to tiller

it can be done! it can get a little expensive$$. YAM. has kits to convert there motors to a tiller. any yam. dealer can help you. shorts marine discount parts, has a web site that you can request a totle cost for the kit. give them your mod # of the motor.

Gillagorilla

Cadet
Re: 50hp Yamaha controls to tiller

Blackbox thanks for the reply.

I have not bought the engine yet. I am actually trying to decide if I want to get it so I can let the guy know tomorrow morning. The engine actually has only 40psi compression on the #2 cylinder and he told me that when it was running like this it was pushing fuel back through the carb. It does have a new trim/tilt cylinder and new steering cables.

The only issue that I have if I get the engine and fix it is that my 14' skiff is a 15" transom and not a 20" like the engine and is only rated for a 25hp engine.

I have been toying with the idea of putting stringers and a floor in the boat to stiffen it up and put in a 20" transom.

Decisions decisions