trim problem 1992 70hp yamaha

doalure

Recruit
i just bought a boat. it has a 70 hp 1992 2 stroke. the trim does not work. probably because of the rusted part that is mounted on the transom of the boat. is this the trim relay or solenoid? the up and down both don't work at all. It is right next to the mounting bracket for the outboard closer to the port side of the boat. I hear a clicking noise when i press the button but nothing happens. i heard of people replacing the solenoid but i have no idea if the rusted part is the solenoid or the trim relay or are they the same? I have no idea::eek:i really want to learn about my outboard and get the trim working again. what is the part that i have to replace and how much is it. I know that the part number that i think i need for the trim relay is 6H1-81950-00-00. i am confused about the relay and the solenoid. thank you so much for your help.:)

sigma

Seaman
Re: trim problem 1992 70hp yamaha

The rusted thing you are talking about is the trim motor used for both up and down. Take the cowling off and look for the two solonoids next to the starter. One is for up and one is for down. Hit your trim button both ways and the click you hear will be there. If the relays do click they are probably ok and next you need to test for power to the trim motor.

Can you post a pic of the trim motor?

Relay / solonoid all the same thing

doalure

Recruit

thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. i figured it out and the trim motor has been ordered. what fluid should i use for the tilt and trim motor? thank you so much!

sigma

Seaman

Yamaha trim and tilt fluid or Dextron II tranny fluid will be fine.