Frozen Steering Arm on 1993 Yamaha Engine

Peter Rogers

Recruit
I purchased a boat with a 1993 200 HP Yamaha engine a year ago. It is located on the Gulf in Florida and I the engine goes unused for extended periods of time (months). Each time I return the steering arm gets frozen up in the shaft on the front of the engine. I've been told to crank and lock the steering wheel so the rod is set all the way in the shaft so it is not exposed to salt and corrosion.
It still locks up and I have to spend considerable time freeing up the arm each time. Does anyone have a solution to prevent the steering arm from freezing up while I'm gone for several months? Thanks.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Frozen Steering Arm on 1993 Yamaha Engine

Take emory cloth or a 3M pad to remove/polish any corrosion or deposits from the stainless shaft, lubricate it with marine grease. Good Luck!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I take it you are not talking about hydrolic steering just plain old telaflex cable.
The ones I have seen are caused by rust inside the tilt tube that grabs hold of the rod locking it. The only way to stop it is to remove and kill the rust. The easiest eay to do that is to just replace the tilt tube with a new one and try to prevent salt from entering the new one. They make nuts with o-rings and grease certs on them but some say that will trap water and salt inside. so, it up to you.
I have run a pipe wire brush through the tube hooked to a drill motor after pulling the rod out of the way and then greasing it real good , but that is only a temperary fix because the rust will keep growing.
I have found that it is easier to free one up if it is sticking out some so there is someting to push inward on instead of pulling outward

Peter Rogers

Recruit

Thanks for those who responded to my question. Will give it a try.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

In addition to the suggestions above:
Leave the rod out so it can dry and also it's easier to tap them in than to tap them out, and the stainless won't corrode. I realize it's counterintuitive to leave them exposed but I've tested this theory over winters on the Atlantic salt marsh.
Get a grease widget.
If it's stuck in, remove the motor connection and insert a 1/4" allen wrench in the hole and hit that with the hammer to tap it out (or look around for any right angle thing lynig around.)