Replacing head gasket Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, is there anything that I need to be aware of in changing out this head gasket (cooling ports blocked with salt corrosion) other than proper torquing? Tips? Tricks? Use of sealant along with head gasket like in automotive repairs? Keeping timing correct tips? thanks

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke coolant problem

When i start my 9.9 initially the stream of water is strong but after warming up for 1-2 minutes the stream trickles down to about nothing. I've checked the thermostat which is working properly. Is this normal for a 9.9? What would be causing this? I'm afraid to let it run much longer after the water slow to a trickle for fear of getting too hot...... thanks BTW it also repeats this if I let it cool down....

4scoleo

Recruit

When i start my 9.9 initially the stream of water is strong but after warming up for 1-2 minutes the stream trickles down to about nothing. I've checked the thermostat which is working properly. Is this normal for a 9.9? What would be causing this? I'm afraid to let it run much longer after the water slow to a trickle for fear of getting too hot...... thanks BTW it also repeats this if I let it cool down....

Not normal. I had the same problem with my 9.9 season before last. It sounds like something floating around in the system. Start with the water pump. Check for a broken impeller blade in the lines. You already checked the stat, but try running it without the stat. On mine everything was OK and pulling the head was my last resort so , one more time, I went line by line, backwards from the head and blew everything once again. YIPPEE! In a coolant line previously checked I got a goober of snot big enough to cover the palm of my hand. Can't say just what it was, other than slimy and nasty. All systems immediately went to GO.
My 2 cents
Good Luck