87 Suzuki DT65 - Lower unit spacer

Can any Suzuki owners tell me how to disconnect and re-connect the spacer that is above the water pump of the lower unit on a 1987 Suzuki DT65? I was attempting to drop the lower unit and the spacer came apart from the rest of the unit and I can't get it to go back together. It seems to have a spring that keeps me from separating it and it will not go back either. I may have dislodged something while I was attempting to drop the lower unit. Any guideance would be appreciated.

Stacey R.

Re: 87 Suzuki DT65 - Lower unit spacer

Maybe I'd didn't discribe the "spacer" properly. It is the plate that the water pump housing bolts on to. The problem is that there seems to be a spring under it that will not allow me to take it off from the rest of the lower unit. It also won't sit flat at the front, but will sit flat in the back. I hope I explained the situation better.

elektroschnulli

Recruit
Re: 87 Suzuki DT65 - Lower unit spacer (drive shaft bearing housing)

Re: 87 Suzuki DT65 - Lower unit spacer (drive shaft bearing housing)

Hi,
are there any news on that issue?
I guess, i?m in the nearly same situation: The manual says to remove the Drive Shaft Bearing Housing by screwing two bolts into the 6mm threads. But it seems that some spring is holding it back. Do i have to remove the nut on the pinion gear first?
Thanks for any idea...

regards
per

elektroschnulli

Recruit
Re: 87 Suzuki DT65 - Lower unit spacer

-solved-

It?s definitely nescessary to remove the nut at the pinion gear. After that it?s possible to remove the "lower unit spacer" aka "drive shaft bearing housing".
But: this is only nescessary if you want to change the formed O-ring or the oil sealing ring.
The standart failure is that you pull out the clutch rod too far (while removing the lower unit from the upper driveshaft housing) and it?s not possible to push it back. In that case first make sure that you fixed the unit in a position, where the prop shaft is showing upwards. (this is to prevent the steel ball for the neutral marking from falling out) Now you have to remove the two screws of the propeller shaft housing. Pull out the prop shaft housing for about 1,5cm (~1/2 inch). After carefully lifting the prop shaft the same distance you can push back the clutch rod completely. Carefully reassemble the prop shaft housing and try to avoid this next time.:)