Suzuki DT2 Overheat Hot

AtillatheHun

Recruit
Hey folks. I just want to sound off here, because I got some pretty sound advice from this forum.

I just purchased a 1983 Suzuki DT2. That is a 2 hp 2 stroke. The thing is immaculate. I checked the carburetor and then tested the motor on the barrel. It got hot. Puttering around the old internet I came across this forum and some other folks that dealt with this before. They recommended pulling the head, which was reportedly easy as long as bolts didn't break, and cleaning out the cylinder water jacket and replacing the head gasket.

I did this. It was simple. I got a new head gasket for 9 dollars. I opened the case, gently turned out the four head bolts (didn't even turn out the spark plug in the head), cleaned out the water jacket and heat cover with a little bitty screw driver and a pipe cleaner (it was full of salt and sand), cleaned the mating surfaces, oiled the head bolts, put the new gasket on and put it all back together. This took all of 2 hours, and I wasn't exactly rushing it.

It fired on the first pull and ran like a champ. I ran it for 15 minutes or so and it never even got warm. Peppy sucker too! I need to remember to check the head bolt torque after running it, but I expect that to be a pretty fantastic little motor. My thanks to all of you that post good info here.

P.S. I have heard this before that you need to run the fuel out of the carburetor by shutting off the fuel valve and letting the motor die on its own. This is supposed to help keep the 2 cycle fuel from gumming up the float valve. Anybody wanna sound off on that? I am not sure how I feel about that one. I suppose it could be true at that, but I just don't know.