Suzuki DT115 making a light clicking sound

zed75

Cadet
Hi everyone. I have a 1989 Suzuki DT 115 that I have owned for about a year. Up until now, I have not had any issues with the engine besides a carb that needed to be rebuilt. The engine still starts up right away and runs perfectly with one exception. The last time I started the motor it was making a light clicking sound at idle that seemed to follow the rhythm of the engine. Sure enough, as I accelerated to plane the clicking grew faster and faster until I really couldn't hear it anymore. I decreased speed and the clicking decreased as engine speed decreased. The noise seems to be coming from the powerhead. Any ideas? I'm not really capable of doing major overhaul work myself, but would like to know what I'm talking about when I take the boat to my mechanic. Thanks for any help.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki DT115 making a light clicking sound

did you see any engine power loss? any clicking noise in the power head usually is bad news. i wouldn't run this motor again until you have it checked out. You could do a compression check and see what results you get. the cylinders should all read about the same. It could be from several different things. Rod, ring, bad head gasket, valve, etc.... Good Luck.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I think I have read on this forum somewhere before that air getting into the fuel pump will cause a clicking noise but do not hold it to be a fact. It is something to do a search for

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, that is difinetly another thing to check out. have you rebuilt the fuel pump lately?

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

When that happened to my '96 DT115 it was a scored cylinder. The oil res had a bunch of goo in the bottom which created a inefficent oil situation. I'm embarrased to say the low oil flow alarm did go off but I thought it was overheating. The light is impossible to read in the sun.

robert graham

Admiral

I was in the boat with my wife and I heard some noise in the motor. She said the noise was in my head and that it was paranoia about the motor. She was right! These motors do create a lot of different sounds. Hope yours turns out to be very minor or just in the "head", like mine. Good Luck!

zed75

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys. After talking with my mechanic about the clicking noise he suggested that I give the motor a shock treatment with Yamalube Ring Free fuel additive before I bring the motor in. The stuff is a little expensive- $25 for 12 oz.- and you need to mix it 2oz./gallon for the shock treatment to remove built up carbon deposits. I just finished going through a 6 gallon tank of gas with this stuff and the clicking noise disappeared after about 3 gallons. Actually, the engine sounds better than it has for awhile. Hopefully, it's that simple. Thanks again for the replies.