2 micron racor filters for VST problems

tbn43

Recruit
There is increasing chatter on other boards about using 2 micron racor fuel filters instead of the Yamaha specified 10 micron filter to help combat VST problems.

Has anyone given this a try. Sounds promissing.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 micron racor filters for VST problems

as long as it can flow a minimum of 60 GPH try it. it will cause fuel pumps to fail faster so more maint will need to be done and if it clogs it will run the VST out of fuel just like the yamaha 90GPH 10 micron.just remember thats 60GPH that day not the day its installed.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

RODBOLT

i been switching over to the 2 racor one (clear bowl so you can check it, useless with out seeing it), but over on the right coast, LOL

boats are water keep, 16 of them, 40 hrs a week, yacht club tenders

no problems, well 9 months so far

but i tell you the VST filters are spot less!!!!!

yes, if you cut fuel to the VST pump, not good

PS
I know you hate PM's but give me an email, got a 350 ? for ya

hawilson2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone have a part number for the racor 2 micron element with clear bowl? I currently use a 10 micron racor S3227 on a 320R-RAC-01 housing. Any ideas if I could use the same housing and bowl for the spin on 2 micon element? Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

justintime, ill clear my PM box tonight. PM me.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Does anyone have a part number for the racor 2 micron element with clear bowl? I currently use a 10 micron racor S3227 on a 320R-RAC-01 housing. Any ideas if I could use the same housing and bowl for the spin on 2 micon element? Thanks.

look it up on racor's web site

hawilson2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found it. It is a "S3228SUL" element and it will supposedly work with the 320R-RAC-01/02 housing.

tbn43

Recruit

I have installed the 2 micron racor with a vacuum gauge between the filter and the VST. It has been running well for two months. Hopefully it will clear up the clogged vst filters I have had two times each summer for the past 3 years, not to mention blown power head and burned out fuel pump.

There is a compelling theory posted on another board that the famous white powder clogging vst filters (sodium sulfate) is caused not by a problem in the main fuel tank, but by heat in the vst tank creating phase separation. If that is the case the 2 micron won't work. I'll report back.

btw. the flow rate for the 2 and 10 micron racors is rated the same. I have tested it and both filters run at a vacuum of approximately 25 inches of water. The 2-micron will clog faster, hence the gauge to keep an eye on it.