Winterizing a Yamaha 9.9 hp outboard motor.

mnguy

Cadet
I got a 2002 Yamaha 9.9hp outboard motor with a 14 foot pontoon boat I bought this summer.
it's now getting to that time of the year to think about winterizing ( in Minnesota).
I know nothing about the motor, and am looking for some online guides to what needs to be done, preferably with pictures.

I did see this list:
1 Leave the motor full down,
2 drain and refill the lower unit lube,
3 change the engine oil and filter.
4 Add fuel stabilizer to the fuel, run the engine for a couple of minutes (on muffs) to get the stabilized fuel into the fuel system

but I don't know how to "drain and refill the lower unit lube" and the list doesn't mention "fogging" which I've heard was important.

Sorry for being a complete noob. Any help or pointers will be appreciated-
Thanks

dbensen

Cadet
Re: Winterizing a Yamaha 9.9 hp outboard motor.

Winterizing for me (here in San Diego) means putting on a sweatshirt, but to drain the lower unit, you just loosen the screws on the lower end, I believe one should say drain, one says fill. They are the two flat head screws on lower end.

I've read a few guides that came up easily from google searching about winterizing....

http://www.classicglastron.com/gl-outboard-winterizing.htm

It sounds like you're on the right track with the fuel stabilizers. You should drain any excess fuel from your carb as well. There is a drain screw at the bottom of the bowl.

mnguy

Cadet

Thanks for the link, it seems pretty complete. Imagine the first time is the hardest.

I like the 4 seasons of Minnesota and all, but there is something to be said for the sweatshirt school of winterizing.

Thanks again

santam

Cadet

If you go on the internet and search for YAMAHA 9.9 OUTBOARD MOTOR OWNERS MANUAL you will find a site that gives you the owners manual
and it will answer all your questions.

Mike

santam

Cadet

If you go on the internet and search YAMAHA 9.9 OUTBOARD MOTOR OWNERS MANUAL you will find a site giving you the owners manuak and it will answer all you questions.

Mike