1985 85hp suzuki loss of power/intermittent

Divado7

Cadet
ok so the engine has been running great going on 2 seasons now since i rebuilt carbs, water pump etc. and i go out ALOT! like 2-3 times a week! so had to replace water pump impeller again already..anywayyys

Ran great UNTIL last friday i was out it was running fine just as usual, then all of a sudden on the return of our trip at a little over 1/2 throttle it starts missing like crazy, so i increase throttle and get intermittent bursts of power, then it levels off but not near the speed it should be at with the percent of throttle given. but were like whatever just hoping it gets us home!

then upon entering the no wake zone coming off plane engine is vibrating/shaking very badly. then upon exiting zone i gunned it and it still had the shake and would barely get on plane at full throttle. UNTIL it got a few quick bursts of power again intermittent and then leveled off again...

i just replace plugs too like 2-3months ago when i had a similar problem, thought it was missin which turned out to be just a clogged fuel filter, cleaned it out and ran like a dream until now.

NOW this seemed to be the same thing to me, SO i looked at filter and it had bunch of junk in it, so i cleaned it out and went out again on sunday, ran great little over half way out to same destination as friday, then it started same story over again. im like ugggghhh

SOOO im wondering what my problem is..

I dont want to pull the carbs if i don't need too..

Im thinking that something SOMEHOW(who knows with the filter) got into one of the highspeed jets????

All comments and info is greatly appreciated

Thanks, David

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 85hp suzuki loss of power/intermittent

did you do a compression check? It sounds more like you have a plug not firing. Check the spark on your plugs and see if they all look the same. I believe on that model you have a coil for each plug. One of those maybe bad too. If everything looks good then it's probably a dirty carb or carbs. it stinks to have to pull them off and give them a good cleaning but it beats the alternative. Good luck.

James R

Commander

Sound like one of the carbs is dirty. If one is then the others will probably be the same.
The tank needs cleaning and a big old water trap/filter needs to be fitted.
With crap gas that we have to put up with and your heavy usage you can expect trouble without a real filter.
Be sure to use Marine Stabil always. This will save you a whole heap of trouble.

Divado7

Cadet

thanks guys. it does seem as if its only running on 2 cylinders. and the intermittent burst of power is when the plug fires for a second.

i can't imagine it being a dirty carb with the filter AND the intermittent firing.

i'll check the plugs/coils

and see if that works.

im trying to narrow down which cylinder is not firing.