2004 Yamaha 90 warning buzzer on rough water

sugatam

Cadet
This is my second season boating with a 2004 Yahama 90 carb. Last month, on several trips, the buzzer came on with the RPM reduction whenever I hit a particularly large wake. Yesterday, it came on and is continuously on, and I was able to limp home with the motor below 2000 rpm.

I think this has got to be a loose wire somewhere. I have plenty of oil, a steady stream of water out of motor, and the last time the motor went into permanent buzzer mode, it was with 2 minutes of running. I looked at the oil talk cap, and there are 4 wires coming out - pink, green, green/red and black. The black isn't connected to anything, it has a spade terminal that is just lying loose. Could this be the issue?

I don't have the yamaha gauges, so I can't tell anything more about what is going on. Any help is appreciated

scjmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2004 Yamaha 90 warning buzzer on rough water

Temp and oil level (in the small engine resivour) are the only alarms that I know of that allow contunied operation. My guess would be oil level in the engine mounted resivour. If it becomes disconnected, or the large oil tank stops transferring you will eventually run out in the small tank. Since it happens when you hit a large wave then maybe the float switch in the tank is getting stuck or something. Also if the T-stat is stuck closed it will overheat once on plane in 1 or 2 minutes.

scjmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whoops forgot to spellcheck that last post....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if the oil tank sensor becomes dissconecred during running you will get RPM reduction and an alarm.
that black wire is the ground path for all switch funcions. if its off the ECU will see it as a dissconect. find the bolt that fell out and attach the ground wire.
ground wire had a ring terminal from the factory not a spade terminal.

sugatam

Cadet

Ah right! It is a ring terminal.. then that must be it - it is floating around freely at the bottom of the engine case right now. Can you please tell me where it needs to be attached to? I can post of pic of what it looks like currently if it helps.

Thanks in advance

sugatam

Cadet

This is what it looks like from the starboard side. Note the black wire with the round terminal just lying there. Can you give me some idea where I should attach it to? I looked for a loose bolt but can't find anything. Thanks again in advance!

Attachments

• foo.jpg
    foo.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

I'd turn the key switch on (buzzer now sounding), then hold that ring terminal to any bolt until you find one that grounds it out!

Any grounded bolt will do. (SHOULD DO)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

someone has had the oil tank off cause the wires should route behind the tank and head fwd and down and the ground lug is behind the oil tank but any ground on the block will work.

sugatam

Cadet

Thanks DukesFin and rodbolt, I found a grounding bolt and it appears the issue is resolved. What a wonderful forum!