85 hp yamaha-Run it out of gas or not?

Marlinman10

Seaman
My mechanic said I should always run it out of gas when done for the day. I use the boat almost every weekend during the summer. He said the gas will evaporate from the carbs in a few days and leave the oil and that could be causing a carbon build up. I've also heard one cyl could run lean when that carb runs out of gas and that could be a problem too.

Besides draining the carb after every trip whats the best way. Does it hurt it to leave the gas in it if I run it every week or two?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 85 hp yamaha-Run it out of gas or not?

dont ever run it out of gas. the gas will be fine in the carbs for a few weeks no problem. if you have a lean running cylinder it will be evident right from startup.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on a fluser with no load you can run straight gasoline for a long time with no damage.
however you will wash all the lubricant(corrosion protection) from all the shiny parts inside and most likly wont be happy in a few weeks.
you simply CANNOT run all the fuel out as the pilot fuel jet and main jet are about 3/8ths of an inch from the bowl bottom.
thats why each carb has a drain. simply crack them and drain them if your going to sit over 30 days.
if its gonna sit less I would not worry with it.
biggest issue I have with running a premix motor out of fuel is its kinda hard on pump diaphrams as the cusioning effect of the fuel isnt there anymore.

robert graham

Admiral

if you use the Stabil Marine all the time then it's probably not an issue, especially if you run a water/fuel seperator. if you just have to get the gas out of your carbs it's got to be better to drain than run it out. draining carbs onto a clean white rag can tell you something about what's in your fuel system and eliminate most water/particulate matter from that part of your system. Good Luck!

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

85 HP doesn't tell us alot here... (Year would be helpful). Sounds like this is a 2 stroke based on oil mix comments and your mechanics suggestion to run the engine dry tells me it is. (You would not want to run a 4 stroke dry every time for sure.)
To run it dry EVERY time you use it is a practice suggested for "old fuel" (leaded fuel) days. Today's unleaded fuel has additives that prohibit varnish and sticky buildup as quick as they did with leaded fuels. To run it dry will do no harm but to leave it for a few days before use again will not cause you any grief either. Of course stabil in the fuel is a good idea but with ethanol that is a crutch and it could result in problems with condensation. There is a new stabil product for ethanol fuels... I'd be using it as well as assuring the tank is full or completely empty when you put it away.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Run it out of gas .... but do not tow it with empty carbs, you can damage the needle ...