2006 15 HP Yamaha

Crestliner2007

Seaman Apprentice
Early this year I replaced the water pump. At that time, I noticed a heavy build-up of black, geasy gunk on the inside of the prop. I cleaned it all out using acetone, WD-40 and a pressure washer. Got it looking like brand new!

I've got 30 hours on my engine right now. The gunk is back! :mad: What's the deal with this stuff? Is this normal? Should I take the engine in for some kind of servicing? I re-cleaned it again, but it seems to me that this should not build up quite as fast as this?

I don't do much trolling with this engine and do run it at WOT a lot. Each year I average about 60 - 75 hours on this engine. I have Yamaha 10 micron water filter/separator in the boat and use "Star Tron" (by StarBrite) Enzyme fuel treatment in my gas. I also do a full tune-up every year myself. Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks for any input folks! :)

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2006 15 HP Yamaha

a few years ago I started using the Pennzoil Marine 100% Synthetic oil in my 90C Yamaha and it smokes a lot less and produces very little carbon or gunk around the exhaust. are you running the correct fuel/oil mixture? how do your spark plugs look? is your engine warming up to a good normal operating temperature? if it was running cold due to a faulty thermostat then it might be running rich and causing the oily gunk. Good Luck!

Crestliner2007

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2006 15 HP Yamaha

I'm sorry! I failed to mention that this is a 4-Stroke engine. Doesnt' burn oil. When I did the spark plugs in the spring during tune-up, they appeared to be almost new. So I'm not sure just where this gunk is coming from? I do grease up the prop shaft. I'm wondering if too much grease? But what could be "burning"!? It's almost the consistency of chimney soot, if you know what I mean.