Yamaha 130hp 1995 model wont start when cold

larsst185

Seaman Apprentice
I have a problem with a motor I just bought.The motor is a 1995model yamaha 130hp.The problem is that is just wont start when cold, absolutely no sign of life.To get it up and running I have to spray a little starting fluid into the air intake and then the motor fires emediatly and runs fine.When warmed up it starts up very easy but when I leave it for a couple of hours the same problem occures.It seems like it just isnt getting any fuel when cold.Took one carb appart the other night and it looks ok but I was thinking that i shold take it apart once more to see if there is any corrosion clogging up something.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 130hp 1995 model wont start when cold

Are you pushing the key in while cranking?

try pulling the choke out at the front of the motor, maybe the choke solinoid isn't working.

I wouldn't use "Starting Fluid" on a 2 Stroke.

larsst185

Seaman Apprentice

I have tried both pushing the key and manually engaging the chocke with no success.I know starting fluid is bad on a two stroke but it fires up emediatly when using this,like it gets no fuel until it starts but then everything is ok.Its just weird...

larsst185

Seaman Apprentice

update!

I think I just found out what the problem was.The chocke solenoid is mounted to the air box with two screws and the holes for these screws are oval making it possible to adjust the solenoid up and down several millimeters.When mounting the solenoid it tends to hang by the screws therefore beeing adjusted all the way down when tightening the screws.The problem is that this solenoid must be adjusted all the way up to be able to fully apply chocke both when pushing the key and using the lever on the motor.The difference between the chocke butterflies closing all the way and closing almost but leaving a 3-4mm gap solved this problem emediatly:)

I almost want to cry when I think how simple this was to solve.Ive had my carbs in a million pieces twice trying to figure this one out...

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

glad you found it, but it was always a choke problem, carb doesn't perform differently hot or cold except choke which is just the butteryfly valve opening or closing. i have had a simlar problem,with no start cold but that was a fuel filter leak, and i wasn't getting enough gas to carbs to start.

Thank you larsst185. You saved me lots of work and frustration. This is exactly what was wrong with my 80s series 145 2 stroke. Which now starts like brand new.

cheers