fuel gauge problem on 2001 yamaha 150

leeuga11

Cadet
I thought my fuel gauge worked until i ran out of gas in the gulf of mexico. does anyone have any suggestions on how i might fix this. Bayliner trophy 1989, bought it 2 months ago and was told it had a 90 gallon tank but it will only hold around 45. I am paranoid now and came in to fill up because we wanted to go farther out and didn't trust the fuel gauge, felt stupid when i discovered i had only used 4 gallons. this was on a calm day, when i ran out of gas we were battling 6-8 ft swells. Thanks

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: fuel gauge problem on 2001 yamaha 150

Call Bayliner customer service with your hull info regarding the capacity of the tank. As far as the actual fuel gauge, I would start with the in tank sending unit. If your tank has a bad ground it will cause the sending unit to burn out, I just replaced 2 until i found the culprit. Are you running a Yamaha multi gauge or analog? the 150 should burn about 8-12 gph at 4000 rpm cruise, that all depends on the load, i.e. what type of hull you have, seas, weight ect. I have bypassed the Yamaha digital gauge and opted for analog gauges due to ease of reading I mean how much is 2 lit bars really?

leeuga11

Cadet
Re: fuel gauge problem on 2001 yamaha 150

Call Bayliner customer service with your hull info regarding the capacity of the tank. As far as the actual fuel gauge, I would start with the in tank sending unit. If your tank has a bad ground it will cause the sending unit to burn out, I just replaced 2 until i found the culprit. Are you running a Yamaha multi gauge or analog? the 150 should burn about 8-12 gph at 4000 rpm cruise, that all depends on the load, i.e. what type of hull you have, seas, weight ect. I have bypassed the Yamaha digital gauge and opted for analog gauges due to ease of reading I mean how much is 2 lit bars really?

Thanks for the info, will give it a try. Called Bayliner and they told me I had a 40 gallon tank.