My 1987 DT65 Suzuki Cooling warning/mystery hole

wpalmisano

Cadet
I am having the usual overheating and rev limiter issues with my 1987 Suzuki DT65. The rev limiter comes on and stays on. The water light on the dash guage lights up. No water from pee hole. The water discharge hole spits water intermittantly, as if the thermostat functions, the water is hot. I would swear it is coming out just like it always did, no less.
I pulled out the thermostat and tested it in a pot of water per the service manual, I removed the flow switch and tested it, then simply disconnected it, rev limiter stays on. I can't see how. Isn't it supposed to go off ?
With the thermostat out, a garden hose fits in the hole. I blasted out the cooling system. I removed the lower intake slots and water blasted out. I ran water through it for some time.
While I was running water through it I noticed it pouring out a hole on the front of the driveshaft housing just above the impeller area on the front side of the motor. I can find no information on that hole. It is about 3/8" and is definately there on purpose. It does not appear in either the service manual or parts manual. You can look inside with a flashlight. If water pours out it must be connected to the cooling water flow, but there is no filter on it.
Since this motor seems to have this issue a lot, several different mechanics have worked on it. It always works for a few hours and starts doing it again. Impeller continously rebuilt, (so they told me). Is this stupid mystery hole supposed to have a plug in it ? Maybe a filter ? I tried holding a finger over it and the pressure increases slightly, but never tried it in the water with the hole plugged. Anybody know what I need to do ?

Last edited:

wpalmisano

Cadet
Re: My 1987 DT65 Suzuki Cooling warning/mystery hole

flow switch wires are purple green and black. purple not used ?

Last edited:

wpalmisano

Cadet

Being in the water doesn't seem to help

deejaycee_2000

Captain

it is just a drain hole .... it is where the water drains out the motor when not running .... the rec limiter light will stay on if the switch is disconnected ..... but it will not run in safe mode, you would need to replace the impellar yourself .....

wpalmisano

Cadet

Thank you, you are absolutely correct about the drain hole. It just seems like stuff could get sucked into it and clog my cooling passages.

UPDATE : Today I put the motor in a tub of water again. This time I pulled the flow switch out, to let it run and see if water was coming up high, and to activate it manually. Water shot out of it about six inches. I then knew the water was coming to the top. Yet still, nothing from the pilot hole. I shut the motor down. I removed the small hose that goes to the pilot hole and it was filled with water, yet no water was coming out. I went in the house and got a tie wrap from a bag of bread, and used a lighter to burn it clean of plastic. I then stuck it into the pilot hole and it was full of crud. I spent a few minutes cleaning the crud out. I the reinstalled the flow switch and pilot hole hose and restarted it.
Water shot out of the pilot hole 10 feet away with great pressure! Water blew out of the exahaust, and the REV limiter and the dash warnings went off. I still don't know what the relationship is between the pilot hole and the rev limiter but it seems to have worked for me. Either that or some crud blew out of the flowswitch hole when I had it out. I didn't have time to haul it to the lake but I will this week.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

glad you got it sorted, these motors are very sensitive so any little bit of crud can cause a warning .... spiders ove to make their nest inside the pilot hole .... so always good to keep a thin wire around to clear it right out .....